Something a little different

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Something a little different

Post by nickmow »

Some time ago while being dragged round Lidls by my miserable ex wife, I stumbled upon a Dickie Amphistar ! Being a wee bit keen on things Amphibious I nagged at her (now theres a change) and she only went and bought me one...yipee......many years have passed :'(
the Little Amphy was stuck in the shed, until the house flooded and she got a run around the living room, well more of a swim really, how cool. this act was the straw that broke the marriages back and now I live with me dog and too many models (well not too many)
Anyhoo, Ive always toyed with the idea of replacing the cheap RC gear in this little amphibious truck with some decent proportional stuff, and over the weekend I did it ! . I havnt got a video camera but here she is anyway. I painted it couple of years ago, but can feel a custom job coming on. Apparently its based on a real machine that was a one off prototype ???
amphi2.JPG
She does float pretty well and with a new speed controller actually cruises along quite nicely.
Amphi3.JPG
Added bonus, I seem to have shifted the C of G rearwad a tad which means the rear drive wheels bite onto the shore better as she hits the beach. Great little fun truck. I did a search for another one to buy,,,,, this cost I think £19...they, if you can find them now go for more like £60 !! Would love another one. :thumbup:
amphi4.jpg
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Something a little different

Post by [ICE]monkey »

looks realy good fun
all the best, ice
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

cool looking truck
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

British Amphibious Research Team launch Succesful Mission.
Took the little amphitruck for a test swim in the local beach testing facility :D .

nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

Quick Paint job to celebrate successful sea trials. British Army 20 Armoured brigade :thumbup:
Amphi5.jpg
Amphi6.JPG
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

like it, but did the ducks ?
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

Not a DUKW in sight dukw get it ??? eh ? Oh I crack myself up sometimes...Nope Berkshires' Tip Top Secret Amphibious testing facility dosnt have any Ducks...just the occaisional pony !
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Their are quit a few DUKW vehicles in Hot Springs Arkansas,still running and used as water tour buses.Hot Spring resort was a playground of the rich and infamous of the gangster era.Al Capone is said to of financed the huge Arlington hotel their.But last year was the first time I VISITED and rode the DUKW'S,Pretty cool. http://www.rideaduck.com/ducks/index.php?p=home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Also the down side of duck boating,13drowned when DUCK sinks in 30seconds,terrible but true. http://www.rbbi.com/folders/acc/arktour/arktour.htm#12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

Thats pretty sad Sax' cant imagine the Health and Safety people would let that go by without rigourous investigation. They do DUKW tours here in the UK too. And there are still DUKW's on duty with the Royal Marines/Royal Navy ! not sure which claims ownership but they must be the oldest operational vehicles certainly in British Use. Id love a DUKW or a Ford GPA, be an easy trip to work up the river rather than fight the traffic.

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”