Sherman Conversion

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Sherman Conversion

Post by nickmow »

Hi all,
thought I better put myself in the firing line. Im not a master modeller but wanted to try and convert my Mato Sherman into a Regular 75mm Sherman II as used by 4th Armoured Brigade in Normandy. I havn't settled on County of London Yeomanry or 44th RTR yet but theres plenty of time.
So far its a work in progress ! Ive used the Mato Hull, Tamiya Turret and the Base of the Mato 76 turret cut to fit the Tam Turret (quite and easy fix actually) Was Contemplating keeping the cropped 76 Barrel and after endless hours sanding decided its too thick. currently Experimenting with filing down the Airsoft Barrel. Also trying to approximate the 75 mantlet out of the 105 with a lot of card, filing, filling and swearing :crazy:
DSCF1891a.jpg
Now Ive started work on the rest of the turret, with an extra stowage bin of the back, removed the rear fume extractor/ventilation port. Bodged up a loaders hatch and handle.
DSCF1892a.jpg
Might have to settle for a bought Mantlet or even go for the Cam net over the front to hide the knock up job. WIll see how it goes.

Any thoughts or opinions
cheers all
Nick
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Sherman Conversion

Post by BREL »

nice work so far it will look the dogs danglies when it is done
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

This may be helpful.I use a tubing cutter on the barrels plastic or metal it will cut cleanly just go slow.Sax
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

More work today, Tried shamfering (spelling ??) down an Airsoft barrel by putting it in a drill and using coarse grit paper and a file, sort of worked, but now wish I hadnt got rid of me old Dads lathe :'( .
"Commander" by the way is out of my RC P47 thunderbolt he's been temporarily grounded pending warmer weather :thumbup:
DSCF1895a.jpg
DSCF1893a.jpg
DSCF1894a.jpg
More to do, including,
Take apart suspension (did contemplate the Split spring arm mod thing) Cast a couple of resin wheels for spares. (Might be able to produce a handful of these for interested parties...though I havnt perfected the technique yet.
Work on the Mantlet once the Milliput has completely set and see if a presentable mantlet emerges, Im also trying another method to
produce one, so watch this space for results
Clear out Drivers and Co-drivers compartments, pending a crew. Oh and no doubt loads of other stuff, keep ya posted :D
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

P.S. thanks for the kind words and advice guys !
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

filing,filling,and swearing,..... :haha: welcome to the world of rc tanks
looking realy good ,keep it up
all the best,ice
phill2452
Lance Corporal

Post by phill2452 »

iam just at the swearin stage on my t34 :clap: :clap: :clap:
tankmad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by tankmad »

Your doing a good job of it keep up the good work. :thumbup:
Stevie
Plastic scouser
Corporal

Post by Plastic scouser »

Nice work :thumbup: Good to see I am not the only one pulling the mato sherman to pieces

Cheers Ian
nickmow
Lance Corporal

Post by nickmow »

Trial cast in resin of road wheels. Im doing Bubbajo's suspension conversion too, becoming something of an obsession this conversion.
Tank crew turned up in the post today. They are yanks but may convert to Brits with a lil attention (and some more TIME !)
Photo shows the Original wheels, the silicon rubber moulds and the resin reproductions (with a quick spray of Green) not a bad cast, should be fine for spare wheels as stowage.
DSCF1896a.jpg

Return to “Other Builds”