Towing Cables

Fixes and mods for the HL Panzer III
Mackem
Staff Sergeant

Towing Cables

Post by Mackem »

This might just be me but I think the out of scale bright silver towing cables on the engine deck really are an eyesore. The good news is that removing them and adding replacement parts is a really easy fix.  ;D

To remove them take a flat head screw driver, push it under the attachment points, and twist sideways. They should pop out quite easily. Don't worry about snapping or damaging them as they will be going in the bin. Once they are off fill in the holes that are left behind and when the filler has hardened sand down.

Now, you need 6 cable guides.
The cable guides are small square channels. You can buy pre-moulded styrene in this shape and cut to size or bend some thin brass strips to shape. They should be about 3mm long and 3mm deep.

You also need 4 cable clamps.
Take a thin brass strip about 2mm wide and 10mm long and bend it around a cotton wool bud or something of similar thickness so that you get a loop in one end. CA the open ends together or leave open until you have some replacement towing cables and CA together then.

I won't go into making your own towing cables as that subject has already been covered a few times in other sections of the forum. The picture below shows the positioning of your new fittings.

Cheers
John

Last edited by Mackem on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
HE/HL Leopard 2-A5, HL Pz IV-F1, HL Jagdpanther (WIP), M26A1 Pershing (WIP), HL Pz III M (WIP), Bandai Hummel (WIP)
philipat
Sergeant

Re: Towing Cables

Post by philipat »

I like the ideas, but I'm not clear on the clamps. Any other pictures of the clamps?

Are creating the loop around the cotton swab on the end or the shaft that runs between the two cotton swabs? What do you mean by the "open ends" that are being glued together?

Return to “HL Panzer III”