Resizing pics using Irfanview

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
wibblywobbly
Major

Resizing pics using Irfanview

Post by wibblywobbly »

If it helps anyone with resizing photo's, I use a free program called Irfanview. It is very popular as it not only handles photo's, it plays videos, sound files etc as well. What it also does with absolute ease is resize photo's, not only one at a time, but a whole folder full if you want to. You can also save the small version in a different folder to the big originals. It's what I use all the time, both for this forum and when I am emailing pics to anyone. It is very quick and easy to do.

Download Irfanview here: http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Now, when you open a picture, right click on it, and then select Open With, and select Irfanview,

or

Run Irfanview and then File, Open and then select a picture.

Now you have Irfanview open on your screen and a picture displayed.

When you want to resize pictures, it doesn't matter whether the one that is displayed is the one that you want, or not.

Here's what you do:

To select photo's:

Left click on File in the top left corner.
In the menu you will see Batch Conversion/Rename.
Left click on Batch Conversion/Rename.
You will see the following window:

On the right is the currently open folder, at the top you can change folders, so navigate to the one that you want, and it will display all of the photos that it finds in that folder.
Double click on each photo that you want to resize.
They will be added to the list on the left.

To resize the photo's (you only do this once - remembers your settings):

Over on the right you will see a button the says 'Set Advanced Options'.
Left click on the button.
You will see the following window:

Change the picture size to 40%. This is plenty big enough for the forum, and emails.
Left click on OK

You should now have a list of photo's that you want to resize and you have set the new size to 40% of the original.

You now need to set the destination for the resized photo's.
The program will not save the resized photo's into the same folder as the originals as you cannot have two pictures with the same name.
To resolve this change the destination folder.
I usually create a folder called 'Small' inside each of my photo folders, and save them into that one. That way I always have a large original, and a small version in the same place.
All you need to do is add "\small" to the end of the path in the text box to the left of the Browse button. It will create the folder called small and save your resized photo's into it.

Now left click on Start

Presto, all of the photo's that you selected are reduced to 40% of the original size, and saved in the new folder that you created.

Next time you resize photo's you only need to select the photo's that you want to resize, and select the destination folder. Then select Start.

To get them into Photobucket follow these instructions:
http://www.rctankwarfare.com/Forums/ind ... 634.0.html
Scooby

Re: Resizing pics using Irfanview

Post by Scooby »

You don't have to use Photobucket any more. Attachments are now enabled :)
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Resizing pics using Irfanview

Post by wibblywobbly »

I just copied the whole post from the old forum and added 'img' tags to the url's...it was a bit quicker! :D

Return to “Tips and Tricks”