Well there you have it.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Well there you have it.

Post by MrChef »

"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Tiger6

Re: Well there you have it.

Post by Tiger6 »

Going to suggest that the photo is a fake - no way can that little thing provide the voltage and current required to charge a Tesla any time soon...
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Tiger6 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:03 am Going to suggest that the photo is a fake - no way can that little thing provide the voltage and current required to charge a Tesla any time soon...
I found this: What power is needed for Tesla charging?
The recommended home charging installation option for Tesla vehicles is a 240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlet. This outlet is commonly used for electric stoves and recreational vehicles. Installed with a 50 amp circuit breaker, this outlet enables a recharge rate of about 37 kilometers per hour.

And yes, there are small generators that provide at least 15Kwh or more. So I assume (I defenitely am not sure) that this could work in case the generator provides enough power
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Quick math 50 amps at 240 volts equals 12,000 watts. Bigger (portable pull start) generators like the one pictured tend to put out about 5500 watts. So possible to charge the car but at around 23 amps would take a considerable time.

However I do think the picture is funny as intended!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Could shove the gen-set in the boot/trunk & drive away with it !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Pavel
Lance Corporal

Post by Pavel »

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I know it's a meme, but anyone else have zero desire to buy a fully electric car? I could see a hybrid, but not fully electric especially in the US where the distances we drive are huge due to lack of mass transit.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

I would have my little GTi converted to electric just for wizzing around town if I could get it done for sensible money, but I don't see me replacing my gasoline powered estate (station wagon) anytime soon - the thought of turning up to do a club show in a field with no electricity in sight, and then having to stop somewhere on the way home for 45mins to an hour to charge the car does not appeal to me at all.

On the other hand, a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle would be ideal if it could have a range of 500 miles - I don't know when the refueling infrastructure is likely to happen tho...
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Tiger6 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 pm I would have my little GTi converted to electric just for wizzing around town if I could get it done for sensible money, but I don't see me replacing my gasoline powered estate (station wagon) anytime soon - the thought of turning up to do a club show in a field with no electricity in sight, and then having to stop somewhere on the way home for 45mins to an hour to charge the car does not appeal to me at all.

On the other hand, a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle would be ideal if it could have a range of 500 miles - I don't know when the refueling infrastructure is likely to happen tho...
I had read the newest chargers are doing approximately 100 miles worth of charge in 5 minutes
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

tomhugill wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:19 pm I had read the newest chargers are doing approximately 100 miles worth of charge in 5 minutes
That is true, but your battery will be so hot from charging at that rate that you would not want to drive the vehicle immediately afterwards if you had any interest in maintaining its life.

Return to “Off topic”