Making rubber road wheel tyres

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Making rubber road wheel tyres

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"If anyone wants to see how it goes I will start a build thread." You just did so right here. :thumbup: And sure, it seems a lot of us are watching.

If you find that the shrinkage doesn't hold, maybe this will help. I have no experience with the kind of pressure your sized beastie might put on such tires, but I do know that two of my old favorites can stand up to quite a bit. One is called "Barge Cement" and it is used to hold together Birkenstock shoes. I have experience with this, walking my 195 lbs. on the glued-on parts. The other is the E6000 I use a great deal in 1/16 modeling. It is much stronger in all directions than any cyanoacrylite (Super Glue, Crazy Glue), but remains somewhat flexible.
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

as far as I know there are 2 ways (besides Mike's), printing it in TPU directly on a 3D printer, or make if from silicon mixed with baking powder.
for both ways you need a CAD design to print the tires or the moulds.

video on making the tires: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDM77cIHsqg

there are by the way also plenty of videos on how to design the wheels and make the mould for the different CAD programs

As I see, the use of a mould with silicon gives a better result with more details
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
MikeN
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeN »

I seem to have answered my own question on this thread.
Today I constructed a machine powered by a 12v motor to cut the tread into my tyres.
I think it worked quite well. To begin with, the motor spun the circular saw rather alarmingly fast but then I had the idea of plugging it in to the speed controler of the Renault tank and I was able to slow it down somewhat.
The wheel is mounted on a little carriage that runs on linear bearings and is pushed against a stop where the saw cuts a small notch.
Index it round 40 times. Turn it over and repeat.

Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Those look spectacular! Love the effort into a tool that will get used on one project. I have tried to come up with equal spacing on a turret ring and gave up after several attempts. Some people just figure this stuff out!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Today I constructed a machine powered by a 12v motor to cut the tread into my tyres [...] Index it round 40 times. Turn it over and repeat. " I admire such ingenuity with machine tools.

Return to “General Questions”