Photo Etch Grills - which first?

Fixes and mods for the HL Panzer III
FuzzyJack
Recruit

Photo Etch Grills - which first?

Post by FuzzyJack »

Got these photo etch grills for the air intakes on the Panzer III Ausf H from Henglong.

https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p6 ... _Long.html

The Ausf H model doesn’t have hollow intakes and they come with plastic “hatch” covers and a funny little handle thing but all the pictures of real Panzer IIIs have wire grills on the intakes so I want the same.

The question really is which order should these be put on? Grill first and then frame? Or frame and then grill?

The Panzer III book I have has some models with the grill on top and some with the frame on top. The pictures of real tanks are a bit fuzzy and you can’t really tell. Some other posts on the forum suggest grill last (on top of frame) and nothing is really clear on what to do with the little bolts…. Narrow end down or up? From under the grill or from the top?

I’m guesssing I need to drill some holes to put the bolts into?

Anyone else used these? Is it with cutting a hollow out of the box first to get a better look?
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Photo Etch Grills - which first?

Post by Ecam »

I did it screen first followed by the frame.

I have looked at pictures with the screen on top, but these were on museum or display tanks taken in recent years. My hunch is they were replacement screens to replace rotted or missing originals. I'm sure getting an old rusted frame off the vents to replace the screens was more of a task or bother...

viewtopic.php?t=35196&start=20

Bottom of page three is where I worked on the vents.

As for the bolts?!? Didn't attempt them so I have no idea.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Always look for real reference (Google e.g. "Panzer III Walkaround"). Examples:
Attachments
pzIII3.jpg
pzIII3.jpg (144.98 KiB) Viewed 65 times
pzIII1.jpg
pzIII1.jpg (124.05 KiB) Viewed 65 times
pzIII.jpg
pzIII.jpg (123.8 KiB) Viewed 65 times
FuzzyJack
Recruit

Post by FuzzyJack »

Excellent photos thanks. Confirmed what I thought and that the frame should be on top and looks better anyway.

I did Google quite a few photos and I have a book too but nothing was this clear…. Will go and have another search for these.

A lot of the models in the tankcraft 1941-1942 book seemed to just have the mesh and I think the Aber etch is a single piece so that could be the same.

Also looking to 3d print the Torpen? Engine bay vent things too as the HL Ausf H has a really flat boring back, no cables either but I have some Mato ones for that and a bunch of resin a German accessories that I can add too.

Return to “HL Panzer III”