[WINTER 23-24] Tiger I #822

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: [WINTER 23-24] Tiger I #822

Post by MrChef »

"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

people seem to like this pic-

Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

MrChef wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:18 pm Image
That’s the money shot for me.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thanks for the array of photos! I find black and white photos interesting because they imitate most 'forties vintage photos. Of course, color (or colour) photos are the sine qua non of our showing off camouflage schemes. (I will try to get both types when my T26E3 is ready, Mr. Chef.)
I just noticed that the Feifel air-cleaner hoses are not on your Tigers. Is that on purpose? ...perhaps a touch prototypical? ...or are you waiting for parts (like me)?
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:27 pm Thanks for the array of photos! I find black and white photos interesting because they imitate most 'forties vintage photos. Of course, color (or colour) photos are the sine qua non of our showing off camouflage schemes. (I will try to get both types when my T26E3 is ready, Mr. Chef.)
For you sir-

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:27 pm just noticed that the Feifel air-cleaner hoses are not on your Tigers. Is that on purpose? ...perhaps a touch prototypical? ...or are you waiting for parts (like me)?
Yes it's on purpose. I just don't like the look of the filters so I found examples of early Tigers that didn't have them. It's one of the reasons I originally chose 822 because period pics showed it without them. When she was renumbered S13 for Kursk the filters were attached. After Kursk the were absent again.

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

"...822 because period pics showed it without them...S13 for Kursk the filters were attached...After Kursk the were absent again." Apparently you aren't the only one who didn't like the Feifel aircleaners. :haha: So, yes, the absence of the Feifels is protoypical. I do wonder, however, what happened to the Maybach engines when there were (apparently) no air cleaners. Or maybe the crews or forward station mechanics replaced them with an internal air cleaner and left the intakes in place atop the back deck. :think:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The Feifels were pre-cleaners in addition to the air filters on the Maybach engine under the rear deck hatch.
Many modern engines use cyclonic pre cleaners routinely to assist in cleaning the intake charge so the life of the engines main filters is extended and premature failure risk is minimised.
Donaldson Pre Cleaners are a household name in this area
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:41 am The Feifels were pre-cleaners in addition to the air filters on the Maybach engine under the rear deck hatch.
:thumbup: Mr. Bix knows his Tiggers.

Info for fun reading-

https://tiger1.info/EN/Feifel-air-precleaners.html
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Ah, pre-cleaners came into use on farm tractors in the '60s with increasing use of diesels. I should have guessed that pre-cleaners were an older invention. In fact, some farmers added aftermarket pre-cleaners to their diesels, quite the opposite of Panzer crews removing the pre-cleaners. But then again, the pre-cleaners on farm equipment are usually not shot at. :O

I haven't done a Tiger I build yet, even though I have three, (unh, maybe four?) still stock Taigen Tigers. I have lots of books on Tigers just waiting for me to pay attention. The Tiger I web pages are quite scholarly.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Certainly when you consider how few Tiger 1s were built the amount of variety in different fittings and positioning of fittings ie headlights/air cleaners is amazing making it possible for everyone of us to build a unique version of the same Tank. :thumbup:
Little wonder so many of us build at least one of them.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Group Builds”