Second Tamiya Leopard 2A6

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Second Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:34 am Looks like a Henntec to my untrained eye.
If so, the Henntec system is well respected and revered throughout the RC tank world as the best aftermarket tensioning system available, especially for Tamiyas, so if this is one, I advise to go for it.
I am sorry but I have to disagree with that experience. I'd keep the money aside for a while, to see if henntec will improve all his tensioners with the new system that was briefly showed here: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tan ... ioner.html

Most people I know, me included, are having the same issues as those forum members. The new tensioner system woud most likely fix the issue... if he listens to his customers and decides to implement it, of course.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Its a free world(well the part I live in still is !!! ) so feel free to exercise your own discretion.
You have a Leo 2..........not an M60 :/

Please let us all know how your experience goes once , or if, you go ahead with any modification.

Its really good for all of us who might one day branch into the world of the Leopard MBT to know ahead of time what the intricacies are :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:08 am Its a free world(well the part I live in still is !!! ) so feel free to exercise your own discretion.
You have a Leo 2..........not an M60 :/

Please let us all know how your experience goes once , or if, you go ahead with any modification.

Its really good for all of us who might one day branch into the world of the Leopard MBT to know ahead of time what the intricacies are :thumbup:
Well, those guys are not only talking about the M60, but in their humble opinion, a bad designed system. The system in the leopard tensioner pictured above is exactly the same as in my king tiger and in my t54: A grub screw that, also with my gentle and little use, gets loose constantly.

I'd definitelly wait until the new henntec clamping system is expanded to all his other tanks, because I am absolutely sure it will work as it should.

Meanwhile I would also like to try any other options. If anybody has an idea, I would be glad to copy it, because those tanks I have are almost unusable.

But hey, that is just me.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Rad_Schuhart wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am
HERMAN BIX wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:34 am Looks like a Henntec to my untrained eye.
If so, the Henntec system is well respected and revered throughout the RC tank world as the best aftermarket tensioning system available, especially for Tamiyas, so if this is one, I advise to go for it.
I am sorry but I have to disagree with that experience. I'd keep the money aside for a while, to see if henntec will improve all his tensioners with the new system that was briefly showed here: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tan ... ioner.html

Most people I know, me included, are having the same issues as those forum members. The new tensioner system woud most likely fix the issue... if he listens to his customers and decides to implement it, of course.
Have you tried using a caphead screw instead of the supplied screw? I had an issue with slippage on one of his very early units and this solves it can torque the cap head more.

The others I've used on my other tanks have been fine though so I've not done this minor mod.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

tomhugill wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:28 pm
Have you tried using a caphead screw instead of the supplied screw? I had an issue with slippage on one of his very early units and this solves it can torque the cap head more.
Hi, great idea, I will source some and will give it a try.
Thank you!
zooma
Lance Corporal

First Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Post by zooma »

My HennTEC track tensioner to fit my Tamiya Leopard 2A6 should be delivered by the time I get home next week.

I didn’t realise that this system had been so disappointing for some users, but I do like the idea.

Once unpacked I will take a good look at it and take Tom’s advice and change the screws to cap heads straight away......and then give it “a good coat of looking at” (in light of the negative comments) to see if a anything obvious can be improved.
Never too old to learn........
zooma
Lance Corporal

Post by zooma »

Rad_Schuhart wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am

I had already paid for a HennTEC adjuster before I became aware of any negative issues, but I like the idea and hope I can get mine to work OK.

Maybe HennTEC will offer an upgrade kit in due course?
Never too old to learn........
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

zooma wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:19 am
I had already paid for a HennTEC adjuster before I became aware of any negative issues, but I like the idea and hope I can get mine to work OK.

Maybe HennTEC will offer an upgrade kit in due course?
I wish, but he does not seem to be willing to do it. I hope I am wrong.

Meanwhile I will take Herr Hugil approach and will fit those screws. That might work, but that new system in the M60 is nukeproof for sure.
zooma
Lance Corporal

FirstTamiya Leopard 2A6

Post by zooma »

F46CF5A8-8BB3-40F9-A31D-6319F8983F81.jpeg
F46CF5A8-8BB3-40F9-A31D-6319F8983F81.jpeg (18.22 KiB) Viewed 38 times
10BB6FED-B523-488C-B2E5-AD53F5E1F1C8.jpeg
10BB6FED-B523-488C-B2E5-AD53F5E1F1C8.jpeg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 38 times
E0357408-8A27-4840-AAE4-B0968D20F04F.jpeg
E0357408-8A27-4840-AAE4-B0968D20F04F.jpeg (70.24 KiB) Viewed 38 times