1/6 tank painting

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Bender
Recruit

1/6 tank painting

Post by Bender »

To paint a 1/6 RC tank do you recommend putting everything together first to check if everything works, then dismantling everything, painting and putting everything back together? (especially for the wheels) or paint everything before assembly? And What glue should I use for assembly a 3D printing tank? cyano ? Epoxy?
Thanks for your answers
Jimmic
Recruit

Re: 1/6 tank painting

Post by Jimmic »

On a 1/6 tank, I'd always suggest dry building first to make sure everything fits, and then dismantle although you could prime the components first. Paint the wheels and chassis and other inaccessible parts before assembly but paint camo on when chassis, deck and turret are together. Then paint tools etc and add on. At least that's the way I do it. I haven't done much 3D printed stuff but used epoxy when I have which seems to work ok. Others may have more experience with different adhesives.
Bender
Recruit

Post by Bender »

Ok thanks for your advises Jimmic !
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Adhesive choices for 3D printed parts depends on what the filement is. PLA, ABS and ASA can be put together with a normal polystyrene solvent like Plastic Weld, but PETG needs something more agressive like MEK or acrylic glues.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Personally I like to completely build a tank, do a functions check, and then I break it down for painting. Rarely I will paint the wheels and then put the rubber one before finishing the tank, but I'm one of those that hates painting so I like to get it all over with in one go. I picked up a small automotive type 4oz spray gun to paint my larger 1/10th and 1/6th scale tanks. No way I'm going to airbrush an entire 1/6th scale tank. I will probably use the airbrush for the camo pattern on the 1/10th Jagdtiger though. The base coat will go down with the larger spray gun. Primer on my larger models is usually rattle can I don't like painting throughout the build in case I need to glue additional stuff later. Glue don't like paint in the way and I'm too lazy to sand it off before gluing... :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Bender
Recruit

Post by Bender »

Thanks for your answers gentlemen ; and yes i will probably paint the large surfaces with large spray gun and finish cammo details with airbrush...

Return to “Larger Scale Military”