Tamiya or Heng Long Leopard 2A6 for Regular Use?

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Tamiya or Heng Long Leopard 2A6 for Regular Use?

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The H/L systems V6 and V7 both support the barrel smoke option which has nothing to do with an exhaust smoke system.
As far as I know, any standard Tamiya control system does not support a smoker for the exhausts.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
r32
Lance Corporal

Post by r32 »

Agree on that - Tamiya doesn’t support any sort of smoke. Even though I was initially intrigued by gun smoke, I quickly realised it affected IR range if one was engaged in IR tank vs tank combat.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

The Heng Long TK7.1 supports the barrel drop to allow simulated reload. It also supports cannon smoke and gun flash. Being very childish and even more easily amused. I smile every time there is a puff of smoke and a flash. I also smile at the the gun moving after firing.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Meter rat wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm The Heng Long TK7.1 supports the barrel drop to allow simulated reload. It also supports cannon smoke and gun flash. Being very childish and even more easily amused. I smile every time there is a puff of smoke and a flash. I also smile at the the gun moving after firing.
Video? Or it doesn't happen :P
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Son of a gun-ner wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm
Meter rat wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm The Heng Long TK7.1 supports the barrel drop to allow simulated reload. It also supports cannon smoke and gun flash. Being very childish and even more easily amused. I smile every time there is a puff of smoke and a flash. I also smile at the the gun moving after firing.
Video? Or it doesn't happen :P
Your wish is my command.
https://youtube.com/shorts/_ezvOeNyxIo? ... MZl-LxVIWo
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Excellent :clap: :clap:

Thank you :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

8), man, 8) I childishly love the action, sounds, flash, smoke!
zooma
Lance Corporal

Post by zooma »

My Heng Long Leopard 2A6 was delivered today. This is the cheapest "all plastic" version and I bought it on eBay at the lowest UK price that I have seen so far of £169 including delivery.

I usually buy anything Heng Long from HAYA as I have found Andrew to be very helpful, but they have not had any of the basic Leopard tanks in stock for some time, and although I was tempted to try one their modified Leopard's with the upgraded Clark board, working weapons station, and FlySky radio etc, I wanted to start with a basic plastic version .......but if I sell my Tamiya Tiger 1 ...you never know............

As I opened the box and saw the "painted" camoflage scheme I was very impressed with its overall appearance, and when I placed it alongside my Tamiya 2A6 it looked to be a very close copy (IMHO) and it was exactly the same length and width - but the hull stood ever so slightly higher.

The pattern of the tracks was again - very similar to those on the Tamiya 2A6. When I remove the tracks to "weather" them I will be able to make a more direct comparison with the tracks from my "new build" Tamiya 2A6 kit as they have not been fitted yet

A quick look at the underside of the tank revealed that this model came with METAL SUSPENSION ARMS and METAL TRACK ADJUSTERS. This was not expected or mentioned in the eBay listing, so I was very pleasantly surprised - and even more pleased with the price that I had paid!

The tank feels very light in weight when compared with my Tamiya 2A6 models - but this weight will increase a little depending on the type of battery that I fit into the battery box that is located under the bottom of the hull. This battery box has a lid that is retained by a cross-head self tapping screw.

I unscrewed the lid of the battery box and fitted a charged 7.2 volt NiMh pack that I already had. This NiMh battery (like all my other batteries of this size) was fitted with an XT60 plug to match the XT60 socket that comes fitted inside the tank. The weight of this battery pack also made the tank "feel" a little better IMHO too.

x6 AA batteries were fitted in the handset (after pushing the two alloy control sticks into the TX gimbals) and switched on.

The twin plumes of smoke that came out of the exhaust pipes was really nice to see and the engine sounded good too (I have never heard a real Leopard 2A6 engine, so I have no idea if this one is an "accurate" or totally realistic sound or not).], and I will compare it with the Tamiya 2A6 sound at a later date. The sound and light system also includes the machine gun sound and gun flash, as well as front spot lights and rear lights.

The tank drove very smoothly, but it is probably a fair bit slower than the Tamiya 2A6 "out of the box".

As the lowest spec (and price) Heng Long version of the leopard 2A6 it does not have the main gun's muzzle flash to compare with the Tamiya but does has the BB firing feature (something that the Tamiya 2A6 doe not have) I have no interest in the BB function, but I am sure that this will appeal to many others.

In summary this basic model looks to be quite accurate (compares quite well with the Tamiya 2A6) and it comes as an assembled RTR model with the same small sized 2cell 7.4 volt 1800 mAh Li-Ion battery that came with the T90, a 240 volt mains charger .....and a reasonably sized and traditionally shaped two stick 2.5 gig transmitter.

The Tamiya 2A6 comes (at a MUCH higher cost) as a reasonably complex kit of parts that needs to be assembled and painted. It comes with a good drive train (but has weak plastic suspension arms that are prone to breaking) and an excellent sound and light system that includes muzzle flash for the main gun (with recoil) and the machine gun, but the buyer has to supply their own choice of battery and charger as well as a suitable radio control system to be able to operate it.

A vast price difference exists between the Tamiya and the Heng Long Leopard 2A6 1/16 scale models. Both models can also be "improved/modified" by their owners to add further cost to both, but the Tamiya will cost considerably more.

Both Tamiya and Heng Long Leopard 2A6 owners will have their supporters who can describe why they may consider that one is better than the other etc, and now that I have them both I hope to be able to find out for myself which one works out the best for my own "Regular Use".
Last edited by zooma on Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:52 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Never too old to learn........
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Goodie! I am glad all went well, or even better than expected. As for the HengLong 2A6's being "slower than the Tamiya 2A6," to me that is an asset. Oh, yes, in competitions modern MBTs can move surprisingly fast, and I prefer contests over any "firing in anger." However, I always want my tanks slowed down a bit. Enjoy! (But watch out for the edge of the desktop. :O :P )
zooma
Lance Corporal

Post by zooma »

61C4D9AB-C462-4821-B6DD-67112CC6CCAF.jpeg
61C4D9AB-C462-4821-B6DD-67112CC6CCAF.jpeg (494.58 KiB) Viewed 21 times
Surprisingly, this “all plastic” model came with metal suspension arms and metal track adjusters,
C1B02951-BB0D-49B1-8B4F-3F4E2656DA9E.jpeg
C1B02951-BB0D-49B1-8B4F-3F4E2656DA9E.jpeg (668.37 KiB) Viewed 21 times
I have not looked under the covers yet, but a plastic gearbox is lurking underneath them.
Never too old to learn........

Return to “Modern Tanks”