Second Tamiya Leopard 2A6

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
zooma
Lance Corporal

Front Deck Fitting Screws Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Post by zooma »

Putting the upper deck back onto the chassis tub reminded me of the problems I have had with the two front retaining screws that hold these two parts together on my Tamiya Leopard 2A6 tanks.

These two screws that are fitted under the front part of the tank have cross pointed heads and they are not an especially good fit into the alloy retaining pillers and usually "bind" and "snag" and cause the pillars to turn - rather than unscrewing correctly - even though these alloy pillars are tightened firmly onto their retaining bracket.

Reaching inside to find a way to stop these pillars turning so that I could unscrew the top deck was getting to be a real time consuming pain in the backside, so I wanted to find an easy solution

Looking at the length of the Leo tub chassis I could see that the "top' deck" was important structurally as it gave the long plastic chassis good support to help stop it flexing, so I discounted a magnet fixing idea - but still wanted to resolve the problem.

Checking the original Tamiya kit supplied screws suggested that they were not that accurately formed, so a quick dive into my screw box found a bag of 10mm long M3 round headed stainless steel screws - the same size as the kit supplied cross head screws.

A check fit using these stainless screws showed them to be a better fit as they screwed in and out much more easily and smoothly - with no binding or snagging.

The hex-headed screws were also much easier to work with as they gave a much nicer and more accurate fit to the driver.

Simply changing these two troublesome front body retaining screws to two different types that fitted better have solved the problem completely on both of the two Tamiya Leos that I am running currently, and when my "new build" Leo gets to that stage, I will substitute those kit supplied screws too.

The two rear body retaining screws (that are hidden under the two rear air intakes) are self tapped into a pair of moulded plastic pillars. Hopefully I won't have to take the body and chassis tub apart too often in the future as self tapping screws into plastic is not a good long term fix if they are to be unscrewed too often, but I will worry about that if I need to in the future!
Never too old to learn........
zooma
Lance Corporal

Tamiya Leopard 2A6 Track Adjusters.

Post by zooma »

58ED0651-D408-4657-905B-CF93AA084E7E.jpeg
58ED0651-D408-4657-905B-CF93AA084E7E.jpeg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 168 times
My first Tamiya Leopard 2A6 is still running OK with the standard plastic kit tension adjusters, but it is getting plenty of use so I am looking to upgrade it with a set of metal tension adjusters.

The model already has the AFV metal suspensions arms and rcbearings ball raced axles, so I am hoping that fitting a metal tension adjuster will give it a bullet-proof drive train.

Searching the internet to find a good track adjustment system for my first Tamiya Leopard 2A6 I found this :-

It looks good and the most interesting thing about it is that it claims to be adjustable EXTERNALLY. If it works this would be a major advantage over any other type of track adjuster as the hull would not have to be removed to adjust the tension.

At a price of just under £52 including delivery to the UK is also looks like good value for money too as it includes ball bearings and axles ! See description below:-

Tamiya Leopard 2A6 - track tensioning system 1:16

With this system the tension of both chains can be adjusted separately and externally.
The set includes axles with double ball bearings for the tensioning wheels.
The components are made of steel / stainless steel, milled, turned and chromated to protect against corrosion.

Delivery:
1x track tensioning system
1x set of ball-bearing axles
1x set of fastening parts
1x illustrated installations

Has anyone else fitted one of these systems to their Tamiya Leopard 2A6 ?
Last edited by zooma on Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Second Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Looks like a Henntec to my untrained eye.
If so, the Henntec system is well respected and revered throughout the RC tank world as the best aftermarket tensioning system available, especially for Tamiyas, so if this is one, I advise to go for it.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
zooma
Lance Corporal

First Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Post by zooma »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:34 am Looks like a Henntec to my untrained eye.
If so, the Henntec system is well respected and revered throughout the RC tank world as the best aftermarket tensioning system available, especially for Tamiyas, so if this is one, I advise to go for it.
Thanks Herman,

I have never heard of Henntec - but I have only recently returned to r/c tank modelling and still have a LOT to learn.

Many new names and manufacturers have arrived since I built my first Tamiya Sherman 50 years ago, but I am ....s l o w l y ....getting to hear about them now - and Henntec is another new manufacturer to add to my quickly expanding r/c tank data bank!

If they have a web presence I will try to find them later to see what else they make.

I liked the look of this tension adjuster when I saw it this morning and ordered one straight away!

Bob.
Last edited by zooma on Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"Since I built my first Tamiya Sherman 50 years ago..." Do you still have it? Was it 1/35? I built a Tamiya Jagdpanther over 50 years ago, and I wish I still had it, because I had added zimmerit (egad, it must have been crude) and did a two-color camouflage with my old Thayer and Chandler airbrush.
zooma
Lance Corporal

Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Post by zooma »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 pm "Since I built my first Tamiya Sherman 50 years ago..." Do you still have it? Was it 1/35? I built a Tamiya Jagdpanther over 50 years ago, and I wish I still had it, because I had added zimmerit (egad, it must have been crude) and did a two-color camouflage with my old Thayer and Chandler airbrush.
My first radio controlled 1/16 scale model tank was the Tamiya Sherman.

This tank is still going strong after being in constant use with a couple of youngsters that took it everywhere on a farm when they were growing up - so it has survived some fairly serious use and immersion in lot of muck (and mud !).

The tank refused to die - I thought we may have to shoot it in the end, but it is still running (but looking very much "worse for wear") with its new owner 50 years after it was built. The only real problem is that it is no longer allowed indoors as the original metal tracks have become so scarred over the years that they tend to snag on carpets and scratch nice wooden floors, so to avoid damaging the floors it now only runs outside!

I actually do have a new set of metal tracks for the original Sherman - still in the original packaging - but I gave some spare links with the tank to the new owner (and they have not been used) so I may have to find a new home for this spare set as I no longer own a Sherman and have no use a set of original metal tracks.

My first 1/35 scale tank kit was given to me when I was 6 years old (it could have been a Lindberg kit?) after serving my "infant apprenticeship" previously on original "bagged" 1/72 scale Airfix model aircraft kits that were bought from Woolworths most Saturday's - the only thing I spent my pocket money on in the 1950's !

I actually got the kit together OK and is why the Walker Bulldog has remained a favourite tank of mine. Maybe I should get a 1/16 scale Walker Bulldog tank to remind me how much I liked my first ever tank kit? I am told the Heng Long Walker Bulldog is not a "true" 1/16 scale model......but I guess it must be close.......?

Bob.
Last edited by zooma on Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

The HengLong M41 Bulldog suffers some inaccuracies that even I can see. The Taigen version (I have two) is little better, with some of the glaring goofs: the wrong pattern of reinforcing folds in the toolbox sheet metal, vision blocks aimed skyward, some tools on bassackwards, too big... Nonetheless, my Taigen versions are great runners and somehow appealing. I am scheduled to fix the errors in forty years. :haha: You might find one a lovable mutt, too.
zooma
Lance Corporal

First Tamiya Leopard 2A6

Post by zooma »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:34 am Looks like a Henntec to my untrained eye.
Guido Henn was very helpful to me when I first started looking for metal arms for my Tamiya Leopard by giving me the link to AFV - I wish I knew then that he made the HennTEC adjustable arms as I would have bought one of his earlier..

I bought my HennTEC track adjuster from RCtank.de and their despatch was very fast and they communicated in English so they were good to work with.

Now that I also have the link to HennTEC. ( https://www.henntec.de/https://www.henntec.de) I can be aware of their product in the future.
Last edited by zooma on Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
zooma
Lance Corporal

Walker Bulldog

Post by zooma »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:34 pm The HengLong M41 Bulldog suffers some inaccuracies that even I can see. The Taigen version (I have two) is little better, with some of the glaring goofs: the wrong pattern of reinforcing folds in the toolbox sheet metal, vision blocks aimed skyward, some tools on bassackwards, too big... Nonetheless, my Taigen versions are great runners and somehow appealing. I am scheduled to fix the errors in forty years. :haha: You might find one a lovable mutt, too.
Please let me know if you manage to "fix the errors" on your Taigen M41 Walker Bulldog any sooner that the predicted/expected forty years time period as I may not be around in 40 years time.....but I would like to see them :)

Bob.
Last edited by zooma on Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
zooma
Lance Corporal

50 year old Sherman turns up again!

Post by zooma »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 pm "Since I built my first Tamiya Sherman 50 years ago..." Do you still have it?
This 50 year old Sherman has just “turned-up” ........again!

It is now owned by a another club member and it has apparently gained a Heng Long turret!

I have yet to see it at the club, but I am pleased to know that it is still around and still in running condition.
Last edited by zooma on Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modern Tanks”