Tamiya Jagdpanther Redux

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Tamiya Jagdpanther Redux

Post by Panzermechaniker »

Never having been happy with my first attempt 3 years ago at painting a German tri coloured panzer on this JP and I also picked maybe the hardest Jagdpanther camo to start with even with an airbrush never mind using rattle cans I decided it was time to bite the bullet during the teardown and rebuild and give it a new camo. I was torn between going for a late G2 with the tools relocated to the back and the late model exhausts and an early one. Since I couldn't get an Atak zimmerit kit delivered to Canada anymore and did not want a 653 or 654 battalion tank I found an Ostfront mutt of a Jagdpanther. Non zimmerited hull but G1 rear deck and exhaust (which I prefer) and yet having the bolted on gun mantlet and 2 piece barrel which I assume were swapped out during maintenance. With so little info on Ostfront JPs I obviously took some artistic licence as far as numbers. So here is it's first day outside. IR battle emitter just needs to be attached. One other thing I am no longer doing is replacing the always failing stupidly expensive Tamiya muzzle flash. Removing it all together cleans up the internals of the turret/casemate on the tanks and allows all the recoil/elevation/rotation mechanisms to work much cleaner without the ridiculously over length thick wiring messing everything up
JP whole right side.jpg
JP whole right side.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 385 times
JP front 1.jpg
JP front 1.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 385 times
JP Left 1.jpg
JP Left 1.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 385 times
JP rear 3.jpg
JP rear 3.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 385 times
JP right 3.jpg
JP right 3.jpg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 385 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther Redux

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I see a lot I could learn from your fine work: to achieve the clean-edged camouflage, did you use a tape, a putty, a stencil...? What were your sources of information on the Jagdpanther rear hull and exhaust detail.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Ohhhh I really like your work here Panzermech, or rework as it is. I like the paint colors you chose. What brand and color names did you use? I particularly like the olive green and weathering. What did you use as a faded dust layer on top?

I'm a big Jagdpanther fan already. Your redux is well done sir. The Tamiya details make me jealous :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

So good, in fact, that I have memorialized them into my reference library...unless, of course, you have copyrighted them? :/

Great job. I will be looking forward to the answers to the questions being asked by our other members!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
The Devil is in the Details and you have covered most of those bases quite nicely!
Very Good to see a 'Hunting Panther' out and about!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

High praise from people whose work I admire. Well I am one of the 1% here (basically me and Mr Chef) who are still Tamiya rattle canners. So the insanely convoluted,expensive and time consuming and in this case somewhat accidental result might not be of any use to the sane and rational airbrushers . The hard camo is done with camo putty but I stumbled onto something new to me when I decided to try something different with my early Tiger 1 (it was different to anything I had ever read by the the true scale model artists but I have to try and match using my constraints) and was in regard to varnishing. The faded effect I was trying to get was the same as Mr.Bix achieved on his beautiful PZIV but without any ability to lay fine coats with an airbrush. I can PM anyone with the details of how it was done and it's a strange combo but it worked but as this isn't really a build thread unless the mods have no problem with me going through the technique here. It is also more faded even to the naked eye. I've always found the iPhone cameras while producing unbelievable shots have a digital harsh edge to them such as the pastel streaks I added being very visible. Sort of like the difference between vinyl and digital music. But I digress :D :D
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Panzermechaniker wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:13 am but I stumbled onto something new to me when I decided to try something different with my early Tiger 1 (it was different to anything I had ever read by the the true artists but I have to try and match using my constraints) and was in regard to varnishing. The faded effect I was trying to get was the same as Mr.Bix achieved on his beautiful PZIV but without the ability to lay fine coats with an airbrush.
Spill the beans Mr. mech. I believe our collective would enjoy and benefit from anyone sharing techniques especially those that provide impressive results. I don't think a mod would have an issue since it's your post. Of course it wouldn't hurt to ask. Unless of course you were about to author a Redux build thread for your hunter illustrating your processes.
Panzermechaniker wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:13 am Sort of like the difference between vinyl and digital music. But I digress :D :D
Ohhhh takin me back to the old skool, cuz I'm an old fool... I remember comparing my new (DDD) CD's to my cousins 1k+ assortment of LP's. And we were into high end equipment then too. PS audio preamp, NAD amps, Nakamichi CD, Thiel speakers . Ahhh those were the days.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

What!? ...disallow posts about a technique for camouflage painting? I've used an airbrush for fifty years, but I still can learn from spray can techniques, and I am not so uppity that I do not use spray cans, too. Please fess up, Panzermachaniker.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

If that’s what you can do with rattle cans. I would love to see what you can do with an air brush. I did my Tiger with rattle cans, never again. I haven’t got the patience to do the masking.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Have a soft spot for a jagdpanther!

Great work!

Return to “Show Off”