New r/c Tank Club in Rawtenstall, Lancashire.

zooma
Lance Corporal

New r/c Tank Club in Rawtenstall, Lancashire.

Post by zooma »

I am starting a new r/c tank club in Rawtenstall (BB4 7NE) and could do with a few visitors ...(and future members) to come along and give some support and advice about what is expected or would be enjoyed the most by any local 1/16 scale r/c tank owners.

We have an excellent well heated and well lit church hall (Longholme Methodist Church Hall) to use every Thursday evening 7 -10 pm with good facilities including extra rooms with tables to show and display or use in-between runs to "shoot the breeze".

We have a fully fitted kitchen to use as we please (as long as we leave it clean and tidy as we find it) and good toilet facilities (including disabled).

The church hall is easy to find (right on the end of the M66 and opposite a large ASDA) ) surrounded by good car parking and supermarkets (last minute snacks and fresh AA batteries etc) and has a wheelchair ramp for wheelchair (or tank) use!.

We also have a 10 meter shooting range downstairs that we use for air rifle and air pistol target shooting mainly on a Tuesday night 7-10pm, but open to view on a Thursday - or to try your hand if you have a 1/24 scale crawler on our mountain and crawler course that runs alongside the shooting range.

This will be a really good location for an r/c tank club, but I am starting out from scratch and need a bit of help and support from anyone that lives within striking distance who would like to see another venue to run their r/c tank in Lancashire.

Any advice about what sort of things may be needed to construct for scenery/obstacles etc to place on the wooden hall floor to make things more interesting would be appreciated. We have made our own track markers for r/c car racing and r/c model truck use in the past and would be happy to have a club project to construct anything to make running the tanks more interesting in our church hall.

We have run 1/16 scale r/c tanks with plastic tracks and some with metal tracks with rubber pads, but have not yet run any tanks with full metal tracks but we need to test this to see if they would cause any damage to the natural wooden floor. My fear is that metal tracks may not be suitable for use on the wooden floors as the hall is also used for other activities that need the floor to be in kept good condition.

The charge for an evening is £5 per person to keep the facility open and the lights (and the heating) on!
Never too old to learn........
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: New r/c Tank Club in Rawtenstall, Lancashire.

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I wish you lots of members and loads of fun. P.S. food is a great draw and leads to amiability. I wish the puddle weren’t too big for me to jump across.
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

Ditto to what Herr Doc said. Why is it so hard for clubs to get going/survive? Oh and Herr Doc you know you don't have to jump across a puddle to visit us. Of course it's probably cheaper to get to the UK than here :/
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ja, doch, Panzermechaniker, I have driven to Toronto three or four times, albeit over thirty-five years ago. It is a long drive by automobile, down around Lake Michigan, through Michigan southwest to northeast, then across the bridge and up the Queen's Highway (if I remember correctly). https://can-amrctankclub.com/
SteamBoatWillie
Recruit

Post by SteamBoatWillie »

I once worked for a Ski Lift company in the late 80s that originally fitted the ski lift at Ski Rossendale. I frequently used to get called out to go there for repair or maintenance work. I spent many a happy hour climbing up the towers, fitting new wire ropes etc.. in all sorts of appalling weather!
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Post by michaelwhittmann »

I hope it's well attended and a blast for everyone.

Wish there was one where I live.
DymondTank
Lance Corporal

Post by DymondTank »

I think if the club does-weekend or Sunday or Saturday rather than an evening . You have more of chance for the club to grow and get more numbers
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

I wish you all the best for the formation of a new club.
Nickjagman
Recruit

Post by Nickjagman »

Hi Zooma,
I live in Oldham,Lanc's. Would like to pop up and see you. Is it every Tue's or once a month?
i have a selection of tanks'(plastic and full metal tracks, various weights)The wife and I do the gunsmithing at Halifax Air rifle range,looking for something closer to home. Pm if you would like some help or a chat'
Regards Nick.
PS:good luck with the club
Pershing,
Tiger 1,
M41A3 Bulldog,
M1A2Abrams
:headbang: ms
Scimitar1982
Recruit

Post by Scimitar1982 »

This is great to see. Recommend getting a Facebook page going quickly so that enthusiasts can engage & discuss club stuff.

Return to “Clubs around the world”