Tamiya IS2 repair

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
lukehallbland
Recruit

Tamiya IS2 repair

Post by lukehallbland »

Hello, I hope this is the correct place for this.

I screwed up the build on this probably best part of a decade ago and broke the gun base assembly rather catastrophically as per this image
is2-broken-parts.jpg
is2-broken-parts.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 236 times
should look like this
is2-manual.jpg
is2-manual.jpg (135.81 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Does anyone know a good place for spare parts for this (looks like its all off K sprue)? or an upgrade part it could be replaced with?
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Tamiya IS2 repair

Post by tankme »

Spare parts for Tamiya tanks have gotten more rare. A year ago you could've probably gotten the parts from the museum in Virginia, but they have now closed. Tamiya discontinued that tank a while ago, but it seems they have parts sprue F (there is no K sprue in the manual - they only go up to G) here: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-digit- ... rts-56035/
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
lukehallbland
Recruit

Post by lukehallbland »

Sorry yes F, thank you for the link
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I hope you can get sprue F from Tamiya where tankme indicated. It also occurs to me that with a bit of internet hunting, you might find the sprue available from Tamiya outside the U.S. I also see Tamiya sprues available in eBay, so with due caution you might try that source. Let us know if you have any luck locating the sprue. There are so many here on RCTW with helpful ideas.

Then, too, from what I can see in the photo, part F10 seems to be the only broken part, and it just might be repairable in a way sturdy enough to do the job.
lukehallbland
Recruit

Post by lukehallbland »

Yes I was thinking about this the other night, I wonder if I can get some suitable plastic and heat it and bend it into a replacement part, probably worth a go at least
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

MEK would probably glue the parts and fuse them back together. It melts the plastic, it's not a glue. Works on PETG, acrylic, styrene, ABS, and ASA plastics. There are also other solvent solutions to fuse ABS which is what the plastic probably is. Glue will not work very well on a stressed part.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “General Questions”