Blacken metal tracks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
mumbodog
Recruit

Blacken metal tracks

Post by mumbodog »

My metal tracks for a 1/16 Tiger are already black. Should I leave them as is or do something to get them ready to weather? Thanks.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Blacken metal tracks

Post by MrChef »

Which brand of Tiger do you have? Any pictures to share? What are your goals for weathering? IE light, moderate, extreme?
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

I see our resident track painting expert has been in touch. If you give him some more details, I sure he will be able to help. If it is a Tiegen Tiger, personally I will just would just run them and let nature take it course. But I’m lazy.
mumbodog
Recruit

Post by mumbodog »

Mr. Chef
Andy’s Hobbies. Medium weather. This is a previous model but I like the effect. Has white metal tracks but the ones for the new tank are black. Thanks for your feedback.
Tiger 1
Tiger 1
uuid=8F465265-8578-46A2-8DAF-E6A432179E70&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg (732.13 KiB) Viewed 248 times
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

mumbodog wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm Mr. Chef
Andy’s Hobbies. Medium weather. This is a previous model but I like the effect. Has white metal tracks but the ones for the new tank are black. Thanks for your feedback.
Nice work. Is this yours? Is this the Andy's hobby 1/16 Tiger I? If it's tracks were the white pot metal did you use a burnishing fluid?

As per your current "black" tracks I have to refer back to my original questions=
MrChef wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 pm Which brand of Tiger do you have? Any pictures to share? What are your goals for weathering? IE light, moderate, extreme?
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I weather my tracks with the appropriate colors for the area of operation and let my concrete sidewalk wear the cleats to a shiny metal finish.
I run Mato tracks due to the finer detail and deminsional accuracy. Other opinions may vary of course.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Just my perspective but the Heng Wrong and Taigen tracks are too chunky. I much prefer the Mato offering. This is a pre weathering photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

After you run them in the dirt a bit, they all pretty much look the same.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

True. Nothing beats the real thing.

Return to “General Questions”