I hate to say this but Tanks are obsolete.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Jarlath
Corporal

Re: I hate to say this but Tanks are obsolete.

Post by Jarlath »

Honestly, it amazes me that some of you think that a $500 Best Buy Drone can be adapted to drop bombs to kill an AFV so simply and easily...
First off, what is the carry capacity of an off the shelf rotary wing drone?

Ukraine uses a quad rotor drone that can carry four (4) 3kg bombs. That is a payload of nearly 25 lbs. Please price out any multi-rotor drone that can do that...
They also use Parrots and other drones (both store bought and homemade) and add items like thermal imaging and such for recon/intelligence.
DJI Agras, a hex-copter (6 motors), which can carry 15kg, costs over $10K USD new.

I'm not saying that a 3kg bomb cannot take out a tank with a lucky hit (open hatch anyone?), but as was stated, how many 100's or even 1000's of bombs have been dropped and footage has been uploaded?
Take out personnel? Yes it can...
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Post by michaelwhittmann »

The Ukrainians have been very ingenious in adapting off the shelf technologies to great effect.

I maintain that the tactics have not caught up with technology. Only the Russians (maybe a few
other militaries) would sustain these losses. A NATO commander would be skewered.
11 ATVs a day. T-90s cost around 3 Million USD. Vrs $10K USD.

The Russians are taking a page from Gage at Breeds Hill or Grant at Cold Harbor or Cetshwayo at Rorke's Drift
. The metrics favor the Ukrainians.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

It's amazing what you can come up with when your life is at stake.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
michaelwhittmann
Lance Corporal

Post by michaelwhittmann »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/am ... r-AA1nIH0T

Even the American tanks are having trouble.
Tactics need to catch up with technology.
Until then it's a turkey shoot.

I do give them credit for admitting there is
a issue. Putin won't do it.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

"Americans and Ukrainians now planning to review tactics for their use"

A rather more sober assesment - https://www.forces.net/technology/land- ... ine-losses
"Anonymous US officials told AP the tank had been taken off the frontline while US advisors try to "reset" the Ukrainians' tactics." -

TLDR: Inexperienced crews doing inexperienced crew things will lose you tanks.

Remember that the amount of time their guys have spent training on ANY kind of armour is miniscule compared with professional armies. Their vehicle commanders were civilians 2 years ago, and probably infantry men until 6 months ago (quoting a recent United24 interview with a Bradley commander). Combine that with the way they seem to use them - push AFV's in without close support - and it is not suprising that they are taking losses.

The Germans found the Donbas to be a horrible place to fight with tanks back in the 1940's - its the terain, not the weapons, that is the source of the problem here.

Return to “General Discussion”