How about an April TOTM?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

How about an April TOTM?

Post by ColemanCollector »

Hey Mick,
Between the group builds and a multitude of other winter builds, there's loads of new tank creations crawling around out there. Would there be interest in having an April 2024 TOTM event?

Mike.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: How about an April TOTM?

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

ColemanCollector wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:20 pm Hey Mick,
Between the group builds and a multitude of other winter builds, there's loads of new tank creations crawling around out there. Would there be interest in having an April 2024 TOTM event?

Mike.
Hello Mike.
That's a good question, and possibly a good idea.
Sadly support for the TOTM was dwindling, and it was left, waiting for someone, or anyone like yourself to show some interest, no matter how slight.
And here we are. Well, I moved your question to its own thread within General Discussion, with its own title, hopefully it'll receive more views here, and maybe some more support :think:
Me personally, I can't see anything wrong with having an April TOTM.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Thanks Mick.

Well, I'll ante up to start. Do we post our submission here, or is there a TOTM submission thread that gets things rolling?

Lots of tank works-of-art I've seen created these past months. What does everybody have up their sleeves?

Mike.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

I think it's a great idea.

Of course the "Tiger of the month" rolling gag will reignite.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
SteamBoatWillie
Recruit

Post by SteamBoatWillie »

Do you not think that, because it has been so long since the last TOTM was run and there are by now probably a large number of possible entries that, if a competition was run now, there would be a flood of a large number of superb models? Consequently there is potentially going to be a large number of disappointed members who will loose interest because they can't enter their tanks again!

What about a suggestion that each month only has say, six entries, first come first served, so the available entries there may be out there are spread out throughout the year a bit?
SteamBoatWillie
Recruit

Post by SteamBoatWillie »

Or what about different categories each month to spread them out a bit. You could start with best Tiger to get that out of the way, then such subjects as:

Best Wheeled Vehicle
Best German Heavy
Best German Medium
Best British
Best SPG
My Oldest Model
My Biggest Regret
Best "True to life" picture

Etc.. just some thoughts. To save having to go through the hassle of thinking of a new category every month allocate a specific category to each month of the year. That way members can see their relevant category coming and be ready for it with their entry. If there are no entries on a specific month, not a problem just move onto the next month.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

ColemanCollector wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:50 am Thanks Mick.

Well, I'll ante up to start. Do we post our submission here, or is there a TOTM submission thread that gets things rolling?

Lots of tank works-of-art I've seen created these past months. What does everybody have up their sleeves?

Mike.
I will post a new thread on the first of April within the TOTM section, it will be called, "April TOTM submission thread" plus I will make a posting within General Discussion, to give the heads up of the competition starting :thumbup:
Then anyone that would like to have a single RC military model on display for the competition makes a new post in that thread, with a description of the model, with mention of any modifications, plus pictures and/or videos to the total of eight visual representations of that model.

Best to check out the TOTM Rules

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

SteamBoatWillie wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:30 am Or what about different categories each month to spread them out a bit. You could start with best Tiger to get that out of the way, then such subjects as:

Best Wheeled Vehicle
Best German Heavy
Best German Medium
Best British
Best SPG
My Oldest Model
My Biggest Regret
Best "True to life" picture

Etc.. just some thoughts. To save having to go through the hassle of thinking of a new category every month allocate a specific category to each month of the year. That way members can see their relevant category coming and be ready for it with their entry. If there are no entries on a specific month, not a problem just move onto the next month.
Hopefully your hunch in your previous post is correct regarding a flood of submitters.
As for your category suggestion, we have had the odd TOTM with a specific category, like Trucks and Tiger 1's, they did draw a crowd at the time, but then again, there were plenty of new truck builds, and there's always plenty of Tiger 1's.
It's not just a case of how many models are built, it's also how many people that want to enter. Even with anything goes open categories, some months struggled to get two submissions. And then there's the voters, not everyone bothers to vote.
Hopefully with the new group build section, and a newer crop of keen builders, it may instil a new lease of life in the old TOTM :thumbup:

ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Thanks for getting things set up for April, Mick. Much appreciated.

Mike.

Return to “General Discussion”