Single motor tank

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
menright
Recruit

Single motor tank

Post by menright »

Just wondering, instead of using two motors and driving the tank in the convensional way would using a larger single motor with a rear diff with brakes fitted to each drive sprocket to steer give me the same results?
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

Re: Single motor tank

Post by Martin2556 »

Early Tamiya tanks used a single motor & two clutches. 😊
Attachments
IMG_5259.jpeg
IMG_5259.jpeg (348.97 KiB) Viewed 315 times
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Single motor installations are far more mechanically complicated that using a dual motor/gearbox setup. If done right, either can produce good results. The dual motor/gearbox setup is usually cheaper, more reliable and easier to repair in my experience.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Saracen
Lance Corporal

Post by Saracen »

Vantex did exactly that with their models. This is the inside of my M4A3 Sherman:

DSCN1461.jpg
DSCN1461.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 218 times

It takes up a lot of room, and makes a heck of a lot of noise.

Adrian.
tankme

Post by tankme »

Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen the inside of a Vantex tank with electric motors. They also had a gas engine version. Yeah, I would much rather just have two motors.
Last edited by tankme on Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I have never even heard of a Vantec/x tank. The mechanism would be fun to watch in action, but it must be canTANKerous to run. And a version with a gas engine? :O Does anyone have such a beastie?
tankme

Post by tankme »

Vantex stopped making them at least 5 years ago if memory serves. They had some tank destroyers and Shermans in electric or gas versions. They weren't the greatest in the detail department so they didn't sell very well. They actually weren't very expensive for the scale.
Derek
Saracen
Lance Corporal

Post by Saracen »

> but it must be canTANKerous to run.

:haha:

The worst thing about them is that the hull is some sort of plastic and acts as a sounding board for the chain drive, so they make a hell of a noise. I suppose the two stroke version would drown that out :/

Takes a hole different driving style, as the motor drives forwards, and the reversing is done in the gearboxes. Very like a real tank - you can go slower by having less throttle, or more track braking.

John Grima at East Coast Armory did a series of videos on correcting some of the detail faults on this and it turned into a pretty good model afterwards.

Adrian.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”