Ni-Mh or Li-Li-Ion battery?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Gas hog
Recruit

Ni-Mh or Li-Li-Ion battery?

Post by Gas hog »

Hello
I have been trying to find out which battery type would be the best to use for my tanks, my problem tank is a Taigen T34. It does not have much space to fit a 6 cell battery. Can a Li- Ion battery be used to power Heng long Haya Tamiya and Taigen MFUs ? . Any advice please!.
Are Lithium batteries safe? i am a little concerned after reading articles about electric scooters and things catching fire with these types of batteries.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Ni-Mh or Li-Li-Ion battery?

Post by Kaczor »

I use self-made Li- Ion battery with no issues with HL and Taigen boards. They are safer than Li-Po batteries. Ni-Mh have lot less energy density.
Gas hog
Recruit

Post by Gas hog »

Thanks for the reply, i don`t fancy making my own packs, can you point me towards a good battery?
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

It doesn't matter much, they are all made of the same cells made in China ;)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

My Tongde Centurion came with a Li-Lion battery and it gives 30 minutes+ before needing recharging and the Centurion is as big if not bigger than the T34 the Cents battery is surprisingly small certainly when compared with the Ni-mh brick from Heng Long.
The Tongde Cents battery is charged in-situ so those who know these things obviously do not expect the Tank to erupt in flames :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Gas hog
Recruit

Post by Gas hog »

Thanks for the advice.
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

Gas hog wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:48 pm Hello
I have been trying to find out which battery type would be the best to use for my tanks, my problem tank is a Taigen T34. It does not have much space to fit a 6 cell battery. Can a Li- Ion battery be used to power Heng long Haya Tamiya and Taigen MFUs ? . Any advice please!.
Are Lithium batteries safe? i am a little concerned after reading articles about electric scooters and things catching fire with these types of batteries.
If you are running the V3 board in your Taigen T-34 it's an easy fix to put a 6 cell 5000 Ni-Mh in that will run all day . Just unscrew the V3 board and speaker and put some velcro on the floor and then move them over. This is mine with a Clark in it but I had a V3 in originally
T-34 bat.jpg
T-34 bat.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 163 times
tankme

Post by tankme »

I use a smaller 18650 based 2S2P pack so that I can fit a better speaker/speaker box in there.

Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “General Questions”