Redoing old projects?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Davarama
Lance Corporal

Redoing old projects?

Post by Davarama »

Hi all, my last post was about my return to both the hobby and this forum, after a few years absence.
I am currently working on my Panther project that I had abandoned barely started and will be trying out some more advanced, for me, weathering techniques so more on that to follow…

I have tried some of these techniques on a static 1/72 Ratte and was quite pleased but when I compared it to my old 1/16 RC tanks they seem a bit lacking. My previous tanks had a bit of pre-shading, ink washes and dry brushing and some scratch built details. Do you go back to older models when your skills improve? Just wondering ( my Tamiya Tiger 1 with it’s too dark Panzer Grau and silvered decals is next!), thanks for looking.

Dava.
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya/Wechoe Jagdtiger
Heng Long Stug iii
Heng Long Jagdpanther
Torro Jagdtiger
Taigen Panther G
Heng Long Challenger 2
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Re: Redoing old projects?

Post by Panzermechaniker »

That's what I did this winter. Rather than buying a new tank I worked on my 3 original Tigers. Ranging from building basically a new tank on my late, turning my mid into a command tank and a complete teardown and rebuild, new paint, weathering etc. on my original Tamiya Tiger. It was a lot of fun and certainly kept me occupied. It also ended up costing me in total as much as a new Taigen :D but I think the results have been worth it
Davarama
Lance Corporal

Post by Davarama »

Exactly what I was thinking; I was never happy with Tiger 1 and over the years I have hoarded more than enough paints, products and detail parts to make any rebuild virtually cost free. When I finish Panther I will do a strip down and rebuild/paint of the Tiger, plus a £ free project makes for domestic harmony 😉

Cheers, Dava.
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya/Wechoe Jagdtiger
Heng Long Stug iii
Heng Long Jagdpanther
Torro Jagdtiger
Taigen Panther G
Heng Long Challenger 2
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Hey, I'm working on someone's old project right now, and will apply much of what I've done to a similar tank I half finished a couple years ago. Cheap fun when you don't need to pop for a new tank!

Mike.
Davarama
Lance Corporal

Post by Davarama »

“Cheap fun “ sums it up nicely. I can’t really justify/afford starting another project when I’ve already spent the money and feel better now about actually producing the tank I had envisioned in the first place.

Encouraging words and thanks for the replies 👍
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya/Wechoe Jagdtiger
Heng Long Stug iii
Heng Long Jagdpanther
Torro Jagdtiger
Taigen Panther G
Heng Long Challenger 2
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Davarama wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:52 pm “Cheap fun “ sums it up nicely. I can’t really justify/afford starting another project when I’ve already spent the money and feel better now about actually producing the tank I had envisioned in the first place.

Encouraging words and thanks for the replies 👍
This was exactly my reasoning for doing my T72, in the winter group build. To update, and try new skills without spending too much.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

In our first discussions of the Winter/D-Day Group Build, I recall many of us saying that we wanted to update older projects are minimal cost. I am still plugging away at the T26E3, but I have slipped a bit on the minimal cost (let's say it's now medium cost :haha: ). I can't help it: I keep seeing details to improve and "Maybe, gulp, I can do betters."
Davarama
Lance Corporal

Post by Davarama »

Encouraging replies, I’m still working on my Panther but will certainly go back to improve my older tanks before buying again. I genuinely think that upgrading earlier efforts and trying new techniques for finishing, maybe a bit of diorama stuff will make the next new project better.

Thanks again for the feedback 👍 I’ve painted Panther wheels and hull and will try the electronics next as I think they should be sorted before doing the upper hull/turret painting. Honestly the replies to this post are so encouraging.

Dava👍
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya/Wechoe Jagdtiger
Heng Long Stug iii
Heng Long Jagdpanther
Torro Jagdtiger
Taigen Panther G
Heng Long Challenger 2
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"I think [the electronics] should be sorted before doing the upper hull/turret painting." Right Toe! :D And, as I learned from four years with my Mato M10, it's good to get all the mechanical stuff sorted our before the painting, etc. :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”