[D-DAY] My Tiger 1 Normandy build

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Re: [D-DAY] My Tiger 1 Normandy build

Post by Meter rat »

It's very informative but I'm no closer to finding out who the commander of 334 was when it was abandoned at Rauray. Initially it seemed that it was disabled by John Semken but the reports that he hit the drivers vision port tally with Amselgruber's report that 114 suffered driver injury and bailed out, due to internal shrapnel injuries.

When I get home I will look through the two books I have on the Sherwood Rangers, to see if there is any information. It does mention Tiger 334.
E5DFD333-05D4-4F1F-9D24-8DA044C5CCEC.jpeg
E5DFD333-05D4-4F1F-9D24-8DA044C5CCEC.jpeg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 222 times

This is 114, with damage to the drivers vision port.
The model I am building. If I may? What colours did you use?
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

Your Tiger came out great. For the price these printed MG34 and mounts cannot be beat plus it's the armored barrel.

https://www.battlegroundmodels.com/prod ... nzer-mount

I have a few of these already although I mostly use the Schumo MG34 and mounts on my panzers because I bought a half dozen of them as they became available through Axel's and yes I know the Schumo MG34 is incorrect on a panzer because it doesn't have the armor sleeve but they are true eye candy. With all these amazing Tigers that have been built and shown off this winter I'll be embarrassed to post my 3 projects come the spring. Hopefully the outdoor surroundings will help minimize the eye pain to the board :D :D
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Good looking Tiger! Well done!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Yes, I have been delighted by so many little 3D goodies from Battleground Models, and good service, too. I have no idea what the cost of shipping to the UK might be. The other direction it's downright horrifying.
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Panzermechaniker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:52 pm Your Tiger came out great. For the price these printed MG34 and mounts cannot be beat plus it's the armored barrel.

https://www.battlegroundmodels.com/prod ... nzer-mount

I have a few of these already although I mostly use the Schumo MG34 and mounts on my panzers because I bought a half dozen of them as they became available through Axel's and yes I know the Schumo MG34 is incorrect on a panzer because it doesn't have the armor sleeve but they are true eye candy. With all these amazing Tigers that have been built and shown off this winter I'll be embarrassed to post my 3 projects come the spring. Hopefully the outdoor surroundings will help minimize the eye pain to the board :D :D
Thanks for the compliments and the helpful advice, but never be embarrassed by your efforts. We're all here to help each other and there's always someone better. After seeing posts by some amazing modellers I felt quite intimidated but it's a learning curve.
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Meter rat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:51 am It's very informative but I'm no closer to finding out who the commander of 334 was when it was abandoned at Rauray. Initially it seemed that it was disabled by John Semken but the reports that he hit the drivers vision port tally with Amselgruber's report that 114 suffered driver injury and bailed out, due to internal shrapnel injuries.

When I get home I will look through the two books I have on the Sherwood Rangers, to see if there is any information. It does mention Tiger 334.

E5DFD333-05D4-4F1F-9D24-8DA044C5CCEC.jpeg

This is 114, with damage to the drivers vision port.
The model I am building. If I may? What colours did you use?
Hi Meter Rat,
I primed the entire model in red oxide from a spray primer in the shed. Then an overcoat of Tamiya Dark Yellow. I then camo'd with red brown and olive green. The primer must be thorough and dark yellow on all outward facing surfaces as factory applied, but after the camo was field applied and so will vary from tank to tank, so anything goes. Seems each group had its own numbering designs so research that.
Have fun.
Chris
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Re: My Tiger 1 Normandy build

Post by Meter rat »

cmryanuk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:58 pm Real zimmerit from Abt 501 334. It's neither perfect nor regular. Don't beat yourself up. I over-stressed trying to make it regular. Wrong approach.

Note the flat section on the right for the unit insignia. I've also seen this placed on the left of the glacis plate
I’m not sure if this is going to help or hider you. According to Tiger1 on the Western Front, Jean Restayn, the photo is of tiger 214, Rottenfuher Warmbrunn. Tiger 334’s commander may have been either, Oscha. Rolf Von Westerhagen, or it might have been Warmbrunn.
F1D683C0-C868-41C3-9199-D404726FA2E1.jpeg
F1D683C0-C868-41C3-9199-D404726FA2E1.jpeg (98.69 KiB) Viewed 79 times
5FA7D7CB-E284-4A40-8973-79A0035B6ED8.jpeg
5FA7D7CB-E284-4A40-8973-79A0035B6ED8.jpeg (103.19 KiB) Viewed 79 times
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Thanks for the info. I agree that it's hard to know who the commander was. We can definitely rule out Amselgruber, but as for the other 2 the fog of war obscures the truth.

Return to “Group Builds”