1/35 RRC Tamiya Centurion upgrade with AFV suspension kit

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

1/35 RRC Tamiya Centurion upgrade with AFV suspension kit

Post by modler »

I have been seeing a lot of 1/35 Tanks videos with suspension lately. These guys are making their own suspension out of parts gathered on the workbench :clap: Fot those that are doing that, I salute you :thumbup: I just don't have the ambition to do one from scratch so I will try a Kit from AFV and see how that goes.

The box says "workable" not sure what that mean. Can it stand up to radio control use? Will see.
Attachments
Looks like a nice kit but we will see.
Looks like a nice kit but we will see.
IMG_0771.jpg (908.92 KiB) Viewed 415 times
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0770.jpg (841.43 KiB) Viewed 421 times
I have two RRC Centurion tanks to work with
I have two RRC Centurion tanks to work with
IMG_0769.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 421 times
modler
Sergeant

Re: 1/35 RRC Tamiya Centurion upgrade with AFV suspension kit

Post by modler »

Kit is not compatible with my Tamiya Centurion :'(

I spent 4.5 hours working on it until I realized it will not work. Big waste of time and money.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

If the AFV kit does not fit the Tamiya kit, what does it fit? Does AFV indicate an intended use?
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:29 am If the AFV kit does not fit the Tamiya kit, what does it fit? Does AFV indicate an intended use?
The box does not indicate which 1/35 Centurion one can use so I figure it was a universal kit that would at least work with Tamiya which is the standard in 1/35 scale models.

The road wheels have a gap that is too narrow for stocks tamiya tracks and the axles are half the diameter of the Tamiya model which makes me think this is a "diorama" or static kit as the plastic is very thin and everything is flimsy. These parts would not hold up long under RRC use and not only that, the road wheels are slightly offset to the outside so that the tracks would be in a non stock location away from the hull of the tank. This offset comes from the road wheel axles, the axle mounts are offset away from the Tank so that the included road wheels can be used but the gap where the track guides run are too narrow and would cause binding of the track guides.

I wasted several hours trying to make it work but there is no way because of the offset axles. Otherwise you could use the stock road wheels. Poorly designed kit IMO.

I complained to the ebay vender and started a return process. I waited a bit to see if the vender would reply to my complaint but saw nothing so mailed back. It cost me $5.40 to return it (postage) and the cost was $25.55 so waste of time and money for a kit that does not fit oh, and the casings that hold the suspension parts also offset father out from the Tank hull than stock and have no mounting bosses so each has to be mounted individually which respect to each mount. So the kit should say "for advanced hobbyists". Novice at kit bashing would have no chance with this kit. The instructions are minimal at best.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ok I got an answer from ebay sellers on the AFV suspension kit, these kits are designed for AFV models only :/ It should probably say that in the ad :eh:
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

I sent the kit back to the ebay seller and he gave me a full refund less return shipping. These kits are for AFV models only.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Sorry - my fault!
The plastic was like swiss cheese and I ended up using a new hull as it was only useful as a static model...

viewtopic.php?p=306282#p306282
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

jimbo_wa wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:23 pm Sorry - my fault!
The plastic was like swiss cheese and I ended up using a new hull as it was only useful as a static model...

viewtopic.php?p=306282#p306282
Yes the the AFV suspension kit is good for static display only. Not only that but the offset of the road wheels are not the same (unless it's a AFV model) requiring modification of the trach idler wheels and offset of the track drive sprockets. That's is too much for me.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”