HL decal removal

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Re: HL decal removal

Post by ColemanCollector »

These things?
20240220_111354.jpg
20240220_111354.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 169 times
HL says to apply the "paster" (marking in HLspeak) by removing it with the clear film, pressing it on the tank and then removing the clear film in 15 minutes. Presumably whatever goop is on the "paster" is air activated or something and it sticks to the tank. Personally, I'd classify that as a sticker. Paster--potaaato, tomato--tomaaato I guess.
A proper dry transfer you burnish on--no waiting 15 minutes--it's thin and it's really the next best thing to a stencil for scale realism and accuracy. HL's pasters are most definitely not that lol!

Mike.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hmm… It’s been a long time, but I did burnish on a few HengLong US stars.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Well now that I went the water slide route those and stenciled will be the only ones I do again. The Heng Long things are garbage. The older Taigen ones were better but not by much.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Akron1933 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:46 am Put the 4 number decal from the Heng Long sheet on my Tiger, (original paint) then about a month later, found out Tiger 1 tanks only had three numbers! Had not read this forum yet. I actually used my fingernail, and was able to carefully scrape off one number a tiny bit at a time! Left no residue, and did not mark the paint whatsoever.
Most SS heavy tank regiment Tanks did carry 4 numbers the leading 2 big and the trailing 2 smaller.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

You really are a mine of incorrect information...

The only SS Tiger unit to use 4 didgits was the 13th COMPANY of the 1st SS Pz Regt, part of 1st SS Pz Div. Once they were split off to become the 101st SS Heavy tank BATTALION, they reverted to the normal 3 digit system

The 102nd were originally the 8th Company of the 2nd SS Pz Regt, and the 103rd were the originally the 9th Company of 3rd SS Pz Regt. Neither would have had 4 digits in their turret numbers, but had an 'S' in place of the company number.

Sources:
http://www.alanhamby.com/unithist.shtml
https://www.panzerace.net/the-tiger-i/order-of-battle/
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

ColemanCollector wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:26 pm These things?
20240220_111354.jpg
HL says to apply the "paster" (marking in HLspeak) by removing it with the clear film, pressing it on the tank and then removing the clear film in 15 minutes. Presumably whatever goop is on the "paster" is air activated or something and it sticks to the tank. Personally, I'd classify that as a sticker. Paster--potaaato, tomato--tomaaato I guess.
A proper dry transfer you burnish on--no waiting 15 minutes--it's thin and it's really the next best thing to a stencil for scale realism and accuracy. HL's pasters are most definitely not that lol!

Mike.
Using something like Microsol or Microset could remove them. It's worked for me in regards to other models, and that's one of the things it's marketed for.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”