My First tank build

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: My First tank build

Post by Ecam »

Yes. I've added weights or springs to get my barrels as balanced as possible to do just that, keep the lifting mechanism working easy.

Without seeing it, I would move the barrel looking at the servo, linkage and mounting hardware and see where the free play is. Having a heavy blank firing breech and in such a large scale, I can only guess the forces involved! Good luck and keep us posted.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
menright
Recruit

Final Stages

Post by menright »

I still have loads of painting to do to complete the build but generally I am now entering the final stages of the build. Unfortuately I have got a bit adicted to these large scale models so have decided to build the tank a Elefant STL-50 Tank transporter. At over 3m long this will be a fun build. Full build is on my Blog if your interested.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Smashing work!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ok just to complete its imposing look, how about a list of its offensive and defensive features as if it were real sized !
All the electronics, sighting systems, barrel , ammo type , threat detection and defence system etc etc !!!

You can run wild with engine type and horsepower, over all weight based on your scale size rounded to 1-1 , should be a hell of a read :crazy: :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
menright
Recruit

Post by menright »

Have had a few comments from people asking about the spec I used on the tank. Most of the info is on the build blog and videos on Youtube but I will summaries here:
Motors: Dual 24v 650w Direct drive to rear sprokets
Main ESC is a Dimension Engineering Sabretooth 2x60Amp.
Batteries: 2 x 25Amp LiFeP04 : On board 24v charging system.
Reciever FrSky Tandem TDR-18
Transmitter. I use the FrSky Tandem XE.
Generic 100amp ESC for the turret motor: Turret motor old power drill motor running at 12v.
Sabretooth 2 x12Amp running the actuator to power the gun elavation.
Currently working on the gyro control system for the gun to keep it level.
10ch Sound card; The sound system is custom made allowoing differing engine sounds to run at different times in the accelertion curve. This is done in the FrSky Ethos system using logic switches and Lua script.
A fair few RC switches.
Fire system: Fires 209 blanks. Active fan extration system to push smoke from blank fire out through barrel. At the moment it is single fire then manual reload but I am working on an autoloader.
Autonomous system using the Ardupilot system with telemetry to Maplink. I am using an early Pixhawk system for control. This allows waypoints to be set for the tank so it can navigate autonimously. The laser guidance,ultasonic sensors and camera fitted are curretnly been added to the Ardupilot to add more functionality and try to get it to work inside as well as without a GPS signal.
You can read more on the blog. Still not complete.
Hope this answers a few questions.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Nahhhh!! Thats all actual specs..............I want theoretical ones. ;)

125mm smoothbore gun with depleted uranium APFSDS and Thermobaric rocket capability .
Chobham and Hyperelastic ERA with thermal signature suppression & non-combustible core
That kind of thing................. :shifty:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
menright
Recruit

Post by menright »

I will leave your imagination to run riot.
HERMAN BIX wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:53 am Nahhhh!! Thats all actual specs..............I want theoretical ones. ;)

125mm smoothbore gun with depleted uranium APFSDS and Thermobaric rocket capability .
Chobham and Hyperelastic ERA with thermal signature suppression & non-combustible core
That kind of thing................. :shifty:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Duh, am I the only one who had to look it up? :eh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLT_50_Elefant and https://www.militarytoday.com/trucks/fa ... lefant.htm
I recognized it right away in photos, but "Elefant" was to me a WWII tank, infamously done by Hooben.

Guido, here's a little bit about menright's skill level: viewtopic.php?p=349356#p349356
menright
Recruit

Post by menright »

Almost complete, time to move onto the tank transporter. I has a few issues with the first design so decided to modify the top section of the tank. It works so much better plus I have added a bit more firepower. I will get some video upload to the build blog in the next few days of the tank moving with all the gadgets working.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Proper cool tank!

Love the paintwork and the subject :)

Return to “Larger Scale Military”