NEWB - help with Heng Long 1/24 tank treads

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Re: NEWB - help with Heng Long 1/24 tank treads

Post by modler »

Well, you would think that the "Tracks" are the problem and its true they could be better but there is not much you can do about the Track design. You can however change the MAX POWER output to the Tracks or "Tuning" the power output based on personal preferences. The "one power output size fits all" is what we have here which is suitable for general applications like outdoor pavement or hard packed soil and such. Carpet is a problem for these 1/24 HL Tanks as it is for most other Tanks in this and smaller scales in general. It is a universal problem.

Here is another mod that works good but requires the proper batteries and connectors. I will present it here for information purposes.

Shown below is a Variable Voltage 1-6 cell kit that I use to find the optimal voltage to use in a application.

3 cells = 1s Lipo
4-6 cells = 2s Lipo

For best results on ANY 1/24 HL Tank, The battery box needs to be enlarged. I removed the floor of the battery box with a soldering iron plastic cutting tip to allow larger batteries with adapters and such to easily fit the battery area.
Attachments
GEN 1 is easily recognized by its old style Transmitter. This one has a longer TX  &quot;antenna mod&quot; for better range. The Tank has factory Twin Dipole antenna.<br /> GEN 1 has 2 speeds forward\reverse\turning and also a programmable &quot;free run mode&quot;. These have plastic BB tank main gun only. No IR mode.
GEN 1 is easily recognized by its old style Transmitter. This one has a longer TX "antenna mod" for better range. The Tank has factory Twin Dipole antenna.
GEN 1 has 2 speeds forward\reverse\turning and also a programmable "free run mode". These have plastic BB tank main gun only. No IR mode.
IMG_0649.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 25906 times
GEN 1 with 3s Lipo. Do not do this with a GEN2! 2s MAX on GEN 2.
GEN 1 with 3s Lipo. Do not do this with a GEN2! 2s MAX on GEN 2.
IMG_0653.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 25906 times
GEN 1 HL 1/24 M1A1. The tracks on this GEN has slightly harder rubber compound that is less &quot;grippy&quot; that the newer GEN 2 Tracks. This Tank originally had a 8 cell pack but has been converted to 2s-3s Lipo.<br />It runs more scale like with a 2s. With a 3s it is jerky and overpowered but has excellent FORWARD off road speed.
GEN 1 HL 1/24 M1A1. The tracks on this GEN has slightly harder rubber compound that is less "grippy" that the newer GEN 2 Tracks. This Tank originally had a 8 cell pack but has been converted to 2s-3s Lipo.
It runs more scale like with a 2s. With a 3s it is jerky and overpowered but has excellent FORWARD off road speed.
IMG_0648.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 25907 times
Enlarged battery area. 2s (s = series) (7.4v) Lipo pack shown here. Originally used a 8 cells pack Ni-Mh pack.
Enlarged battery area. 2s (s = series) (7.4v) Lipo pack shown here. Originally used a 8 cells pack Ni-Mh pack.
IMG_0647.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 25907 times
JST adapter allows cell voltage configuration
JST adapter allows cell voltage configuration
IMG_0644.jpg (832.72 KiB) Viewed 25907 times
1 to 6 cells with this kit
1 to 6 cells with this kit
IMG_0646.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 25907 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

I just updated 3 of my HL Battle Tanks with new circuit boards. I also did a diode current reduction mod to the three shown in the picture below. Also the M1AI Has the mechanical tracking spring clutch removed. See the video below for the result with a 2s Lipo.

Here is a M1A1 video with all the mods and new 2s lipo with new circuit board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-CCnVlz8pU
Attachments
This Tank still need a few items repaired like the front LED lights are burned out and it needs a IR score display installed.
This Tank still need a few items repaired like the front LED lights are burned out and it needs a IR score display installed.
IMG_0746.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 25832 times
All three are IR battle tanks and have plastic BB main gun just for good measure.
All three are IR battle tanks and have plastic BB main gun just for good measure.
IMG_0734.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 25832 times
All three got new circuit boards installed of the latest revision.
All three got new circuit boards installed of the latest revision.
IMG_0743.jpg (986.11 KiB) Viewed 25832 times
Removed the spring clutch from the M1A1 in the video.
Removed the spring clutch from the M1A1 in the video.
IMG_0744.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 25832 times
2 Schottky diodes in series acts like a current reducer for the 2s lipo pack making the Tank less jerky when turning and such.
2 Schottky diodes in series acts like a current reducer for the 2s lipo pack making the Tank less jerky when turning and such.
IMG_0745.jpg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 25832 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

I am back with more info on Tank treads for these 1\24 HL Tanks. The best solution at this point is to soften the abrupt start forward power from the twin motors. This is exasperated by the tracking lock spring diff in the motor housing. The Diff makes the Tank track strait when going forward. Most R\C tanks in the past have L\R tracking drift issues so the HL 1/24 solved this problem with the spring lock differential gearbox. The downside is it takes more power to now steer left and right and results in jerking the tracks can can cause them the fail.
I have shown a "staple mod" in this thread that helps with the weak point of the tracks pin connector. This mod will greatly extend the track life. Another thing to do is tone the power down a notch with a "Diode mod" You can use up to 3 Schottky Diodes in series to damper the power from the 2s lipo. This mod also makes the Tank operate is a more scale manner with less jerking and even improves the proportional speed throttle function.

Spring diff lock:

The ultimate solution is to remove the "spring diff" in the motor housing. This along with the already mentioned "Track staple, Diode mods" will make this HL 1/24 perform must smoother and more realistic and radically improve track life.

I just ordered 2 spare motor housings from ebay and will feature a "spring diff" removal here in the near future B|

Voltage alarm:

Also I will begin discussion on a 2s lipo voltage alarm mod. If you overrun the 2s1800 mAH Lipo, the battery will be damaged and will have less capacity each time this happens. The Tank circuit board does have a LVC (low voltage cut) but by the time that hits battery damage may already have occured. It might not be noticeable right away but the battery eventually will loose performance every time this LVC occurs. with a Low voltage alarm set to the right voltage, this damage will not occur. I have lipos of this size still working after 17 years !!!

This mod can be done without soldering but requires device installation\removal each session. You basically open the battery hatch and plug it in the lipo balancing 3 pin connector and verify the voltage alarm setting by pushing a button a few times then position everything so that the battery hatch can be closed so it's pretty easy using this method of operation. Works best if the battery box has been opened up a bit with some plastic trimming as the battery box was initially designed for a 6-8 cell Nicad pack and is a tight fit for the large 2s 1800mAh lipo let alone any "diode or Low voltage alarm mods and such.

Advance Alarm mod involves some wiring mods and or a external reset and power disconnect switch. Once the Voltage alarm setpoint is reached, it will continue the loud audible alarm until power is switched off or unplugged from the 3 pin lipo charge connector.

Another method is to mod the wing so that the Tank power switch is used to shut the alarm down without having to open the battery box.
more on this later.
Attachments
These Tanks are all in for maintenance and upgrades
These Tanks are all in for maintenance and upgrades
IMG_0935.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 7436 times
This HL 1/24 M1 Abrams is getting the &quot;advanced Voltage Alarm mod&quot; along with new F\R LED's
This HL 1/24 M1 Abrams is getting the "advanced Voltage Alarm mod" along with new F\R LED's
IMG_0939.jpg (978.17 KiB) Viewed 7436 times
shown here configured as a 3 diode voltage drop pack with the stock 2s 1800mAh lipo.  Oh, the stock HL battery connector has been replaced with a JST connector.
shown here configured as a 3 diode voltage drop pack with the stock 2s 1800mAh lipo. Oh, the stock HL battery connector has been replaced with a JST connector.
IMG_0946.jpg (1002.6 KiB) Viewed 7436 times
shown here is a 2 diode and 1 diode assembly which can be used as a 1 or 2 or 3 diode pack to allow power output tuning.
shown here is a 2 diode and 1 diode assembly which can be used as a 1 or 2 or 3 diode pack to allow power output tuning.
IMG_0945.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 7436 times
These are the diodes I used. These can be found on ebay or google search.
These are the diodes I used. These can be found on ebay or google search.
IMG_0942.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 7436 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Unfortuantely, joelspangler has not been logged in since December. But I always check out your electronic wizardry. Of course, I don't understand most of it, but I am easy to impress. ;) I see that the 1/24 tanks have enclosed motors: I wish the 1/16 ones all came that way, albeit with easy means to change out motors. That's asking a lot, I suppose. I did notice the four lights atop the 1/24 turrets: :think: ICC clearance lights? :haha:
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:33 pm Unfortuantely, joelspangler has not been logged in since December. But I always check out your electronic wizardry. Of course, I don't understand most of it, but I am easy to impress. ;) I see that the 1/24 tanks have enclosed motors: I wish the 1/16 ones all came that way, albeit with easy means to change out motors. That's asking a lot, I suppose. I did notice the four lights atop the 1/24 turrets: :think: ICC clearance lights? :haha:
That is the I\R battle score system display. Each time the opponent Tank scores a hit, a light goes out. the Tanks does a wiggle as well and a explosion sound is heard.

When all four go out you are defeated! :O Then the Tank times out during the shaming period of losing the battle.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I thought that the lights might serve battle purposes. In nearly 20 twenty years, I have not once trued an IR battle, for there are no others around here and I would likely lose in fewer than 30 seconds. I DO wish all my tanks had barrel recoil, flash, and smoke. 8)
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:58 pm I thought that the lights might serve battle purposes. In nearly 20 twenty years, I have not once trued an IR battle, for there are no others around here and I would likely lose in fewer than 30 seconds. I DO wish all my tanks had barrel recoil, flash, and smoke. 8)
I have several sets of IR battle Tanks. Unfortunately, no one to battle with. Well except one, my beautiful wife. She plays to win :O and often does.

Oh, back to the topic at hand, I got two new 1/24 power units. I will be doing the "slip clutch remove" mod. These 1/24 HL Tanks work much better with this mod. I will be doing it here with pictures soon.
Attachments
These came from Hong Kong and are pre wired and ready for installation. Got 2 more 2s circuit boards too.
These came from Hong Kong and are pre wired and ready for installation. Got 2 more 2s circuit boards too.
IMG_1089.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 193 times
This 1/24 HL Type 90 has a stripped gear and will get a new motor drive unit with the mod.
This 1/24 HL Type 90 has a stripped gear and will get a new motor drive unit with the mod.
IMG_1087.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 205 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”