Gates of Hell: Ostfront

Any tank related games you want to share with us? Maybe if you can play it online, you could organise an online battle!
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Gates of Hell: Ostfront

Post by Raminator »

phpBB [video]

Gates of Hell: Ostfront is currently on sale on Steam. It's partly responsible for my lack of hobby-related output this year (in addition to work and illness), I've somehow managed to clock up over 300 hours since I bought it last Christmas. It's an RTS that's mechanically in the vein of the Men of War series, with the added ability to control any individual unit in a third-person style like War Thunder or World of Tanks. There are a few singleplayer campaigns, a randomly-generated dynamic campaign (which is where I've sunk almost all of my hours), singleplayer skirmish missions as well as a bunch of different multiplayer and co-op modes.

There's a pretty insane variety of vehicles, weapons and units to use, with everything from bicycles to railway guns. It can be a little bit janky sometimes, but it's very authentic and I've been having a lot of fun. The development team is small, but they're passionate and committed and the game's been receiving regular updates and upgrades. It's well worth taking a look at, in my opinion!

Last edited by Raminator on Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Gates of Hell: Ostfront

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

The artwork is remarkable! (Un)fortunately, I am saved from such addiction, for I live in a semi-rural place of beauty where internet connection is unreliable and slow. But I am amused that near the railgun in the second image, one German is standing up watching while another is prone and aiming, as if under fire. Hmm... :D
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Thanks for the heads up Raminator. I've recently been sinking a few hours into Hell Let Loose and really don't need another game to soak up my spare time but this looks good.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Gates of Hell recently had a Western Front expansion adding the US Army (including a dizzying variety of Shermans). I haven't been getting as much done as I'd planned during the holiday break because of this! The base game is currently on-sale for 75% off on Steam, and there's a bundle that also includes the Winter War/Continuation War expansion and the Western Front expansion.

phpBB [video]

A lot of fun, some janky charm, many well-modelled vehicles, and plenty of opportunities for shenanigans with the first/third person direct control.

Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Looks good! I've also been playing a lot of "The Troop'. Excellent, Turn Based. Lots of replayability.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.

Return to “Games”