1/35 scale M5A1 conversion to RRC with MTM gearboxes

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Re: 1/35 scale M3A1 conversion to RRC with MTM gearboxes

Post by modler »

In my rush to build the chassis up on the Stuart, I was not thinking of alignment of the road wheels VS the tracks and from the first picture posted you can see some unwanted road wheel lift. The result is the lifted road wheels don't spin when the tracks are in motion. This spoils the view of the tank when moving in either direction. This is a problem with most tanks with fixed suspension and can not be resolved 100% because of the light track loading of these small models but can be improved. The picture below shows an improved road wheel\ idler stance.

edit, that front bogie is still off a bit. Still working on it. BOTH SIDES :problem:

I had to raise the idler wheel a bit on both sides, that took a good deal of time to get right but its a hobby right ;)
Attachments
Here is that 1:1 beautiful thing again
Here is that 1:1 beautiful thing again
IMG_5802.JPG (2.94 MiB) Viewed 4246 times
The stance is not good here, unwanted road wheel lift and the idler wheel position is too low. This is the stance of a Tank without loading to the rear which indicates no motors or driveline is present.
The stance is not good here, unwanted road wheel lift and the idler wheel position is too low. This is the stance of a Tank without loading to the rear which indicates no motors or driveline is present.
IMG_0301.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 4254 times
improved stance looks more realistic to my eyes. The screw in the idler wheel assembly is at the center point of rotational axis allowing the assembly as a whole to rotate CCW results in idler moving upward in the vertical axis. That and more was done to get the stance you see here. More to go to get it right. The screw head visible near the front drive sprocket is for setting Left track tension.
improved stance looks more realistic to my eyes. The screw in the idler wheel assembly is at the center point of rotational axis allowing the assembly as a whole to rotate CCW results in idler moving upward in the vertical axis. That and more was done to get the stance you see here. More to go to get it right. The screw head visible near the front drive sprocket is for setting Left track tension.
IMG_0346 (1).jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 4257 times
Last edited by modler on Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

The series was called "The Haunted Tank."
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Hey it was about 45 years ago, and I was kinda close!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Hey it was about 45 years ago, and I was kinda close!

Eric
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Final road wheel alignment done :D

the pictures below show L/R side shots with road wheels alined as good as I can get them.

Here is a video of the M4A1 running in "ghost mode"
https://youtu.be/ywr_5V8yKJE
Attachments
IMG_0357.jpg
IMG_0357.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 4232 times
IMG_0355.jpg
IMG_0355.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 4232 times
IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0356.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 4232 times
IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0353.jpg (826.02 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ecam wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:11 pm I'm currently building a version of the M32 in the Group builds section.

When I was younger my brother had a bunch of comics titled "Ghost Tank" (as I recall). About the Stuart and crew with the ghost of General Stuart along for the adventures. They had a Stuart in Garden City Kansas when I was younger and the hatches were not welded closed. One of the few tanks I was actually in. Tank has been long since removed from the city park...
Oh, now I get it, There was a comic titled "Ghost Tank". My "M5A1 Ghost run" video prompted that memory, very cool. I bet that was a very interesting comic book story :)

The hatches on the Tanks I posted are not welded. I think one is open as well. When I was a young man of 12-13, My Dad , my Dad, a SSFC, in the Army was Stationed at Aberdeen proving grounds in Maryland back in 1971 or so and they have a Tank museum with displays of captured WW2 Tanks and other AFV's both indoor and outdoor displays. My Dad was in charge of all the Tanks there. We went to work with him on the weekends and got to hang around the workshop area, For every Tank on display, they had working versions in the "shop area" that were kept in working order and periodically run on the "proving ground" track.
Attachments
Nice little Sherman here, FOR SALE
Nice little Sherman here, FOR SALE
IMG_5804.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 4196 times
Last edited by modler on Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecam

Re: 1/35 scale M5A1 conversion to RRC with MTM gearboxes

Post by Ecam »

WOW! Awesome! That would have been a treat for any or us!

Eric

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”