HMAS Armidale

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
tomhugill
Captain

HMAS Armidale

Post by tomhugill »

Something a bit different but I think maybe in Herman's wheelhouse (pun very much intended).

Some years ago a friend was selling a 1/32 (or 1/35 memory fails), fiberglass hull for an Australian Armidale class patrol boat. It had plans and about 600 photos with it. The hull had some work done but nothing major. An excellent project for some time in the future. The hull was a one off as the mould was destroyed getting the hull out

Money changed hands an the hull went up I to the rafters of my garage. A friend agreed to build it in exchange for some tank stuff but that sadly fell through. It languished there gathering dust and detritus half a decade.

Last year a friend mentioned he had traded a typhoon submarine to a chap in Scotland in exchange for building him a model of HMS lion. The chap is the proprietor of Skye model boats. I offered up my part built Engel akula submarine in exchange for finishing the armidale. He accepted and the rest is history.

The model is fully scratch built (with the exception of the hull) from brass, styrene wood etc. The only 3d printed element will be the 50cals which are commercial prints

The models nearly 1.8m long and stands 80cm high on its stand.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Re: HMAS Armidale

Post by tomhugill »

The hull as I got it and after work started in Scotland. The hull required bracing and straightening as it had warped slightly in storage. The deck, hull details and rudders were added. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Work progressing in the super structure. Some fairly complex lines going on.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Superstructure tidied up and the details now progressing very nicely!

Nick thinks he will be finished in December, with delivery in the new year. I cannot wait!

I picked up some 3680 water cooled brushless motors and 120a water cooled brushless esc off AliExpress during the black Friday event. Running on 3 or 4s should provide ample power!

Nick is really going to town on the functions for this with working hoists for the two ribs, controller trim tabs, working stabilisers, bow thruster, the 20mm bushmaster cannon will rotate and have a flashin led too. She will also be getting lighting. I will be adding a sound system and possible a smoker. I'm thinking of using a tank control board with y connectors to the brushless escs as this will provide all the required functions and sounds. I'll just have to find a way to persuade stian to do a shop sound set!! ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That looks rather cool Tom :thumbup:

Are you sure about it being 80cm high? That's 31 and a 1/2 inches :think:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:That looks rather cool Tom Image

Are you sure about it being 80cm high? That's 31 and a 1/2 inches :think:
That's what nick told me it was sat on its stand, the mast and antennas are pretty tall. I'll check when it arrives though!

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Oh, ok, just seemed a bit high, nearly half its length.

Oh, and sadly your emoji in the first post doesn't work.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Son of a gun-ner wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:05 pm
Oh, and sadly your emoji in the first post doesn't work.
The Tapatalk folk will ;)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Oh, ok, I guess a private joke then ;)

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”