Second significant mod on the Henlong Merkava

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
YYCADM
Recruit

Second significant mod on the Henlong Merkava

Post by YYCADM »

Actually, two mods. One fully completed, and the second well on it's way.

The completed mod; replacing the OEM smoke module. The original failed within a few hours. The case containing the heating element completely melted through; I was lucky to notice it before something caught fire.

I found a Henlong metal unit compatible with the 7.0 board at Twinhorse for a good price. I mounted the tank midline in the hull, between the board an battery compartment, and the air pump across the chassis beneath the on/off switch.

I wanted to try pure vegetable glycerin, since it generates more smoke than propylene glycol. It is a thicker consistency, though, so I mixed it 70% VG & 30% PG, and inserted a small foam spacer in the tank, under the batting. My thought was with better contact, the VG/PG mix would perhaps give the wick a better medium to work in.

With two output ports to work with, and only a single exhaust outlet, I had to get creative. I drilled a second hole behind the side exhaust grill, mounted a length of brass tubing, and attached the second outflow below the first, concealed behind the exterior mesh cover.

I must say, I'm pleased with the volume of smoke it produces; no more of those wispy little tendrils that were barely visible; With a bit of tinkring, I think it could even generate a convincing smoke screen. With the ability to push more airflow, and less restriction for the outflow, there is good potential.

The second, as yet only partially complete, is installing a searchlight. I had an LED self-contained light engine, in a perfect form factor. It has truly blinding output; 1100 lumen. It's a 9V system, so I'll be installing a stand-alone switch to activate it. Once complete, it will make night operations viable
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Second significant mod on the Henlong Merkava

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I would guess that the original HengLong smoke had unit fluid in it. Do you have any photos of these modifications? They certainly are interesting, and, indeed, if your separate, 9-volt smoke system can be maintained and fit in a tank, a smoke screen would be fun. I am eager to see what the electronics wizards here on RCTW think of the idea.

Return to “Modern Tanks”