does the on/off switch carry full power?

Discussion for Clark electronics.
ongbenghui
Recruit

does the on/off switch carry full power?

Post by ongbenghui »

Hi hi,

Trying to replace the JST-XH connector with straight wire on TK50.

Just checking if the switch connector carry full power ? or just serve as a on/off switch ? the connection does not look like a inline power.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: does the on/off switch carry full power?

Post by tankme »

Simple answer is...that depends. It depends on which switch you are using and how it is wired.

If you are using a two wire switch connected via the JST connector labeled "SW" (in yellow) on the Clark board and plugging the battery into the "power" JST (in red), then no it is not carrying full battery voltage. It is merely being used a jumper or a shunt to turn the card on/off. There should've been a jumper in this port when you got the card.

If you are plugging a 3 wire switch into "power" JST connector (in red) where your battery is wired directly to the switch, then yes it carries the full voltage of the battery through the switch. I would not recommend the first method as you will always have a live battery connection to your board as long as the battery is plugged in.

I think the typical HL or Taigen switch is rated for 6A. whether it is a two wire or a 3 wire switch. The smaller HL/Taigen switches that turn the BB function on/off on the older tanks is like a 3A switch.

If you think you are exceeding the 6A going through the switch, I would recommend getting a switch that can handle more amps.
clark power.PNG
clark power.PNG (157.71 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
ongbenghui
Recruit

Post by ongbenghui »

Thanks for your advise. Yes, I am trying to replace the JST-XH with solder on wires. I was just puzzled if the yellow SW connector need to be replaced.

Looks like it is not. Many thanks.
ongbenghui
Recruit

Post by ongbenghui »

By the way, I got the same answer from Clark, it is just a switch connection, does not carry full power.

Return to “Clark”