1940 Ford at Ford Island

Any other static RC models that don't fit into the above category go here!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

1940 Ford at Ford Island

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

The truck pictured below might not be familiar to those of you living outside North America. In the early 2000s a US firm called Diecast Promotions put out some great mass-produced metal 1/16 model trucks. Sold with the series name, "Highway 61," these 1/16 medium-duty trucks included a '40 Ford, 41' Chevy, '46 Chevy, '41 GMC, '47 IH KB-5, and '75 Chevy (and maybe some I forgot). The body variety included stake bodies, flat beds, grain boxes, and fire equipment. Although not RC, these mass-produced trucks were so well detailed that when I wrote the first review of them for the December 2002 Toy Farmer magazine, I was reminded of what driving a real truck was like--[Old Fogie]not those fancy powder-puff wagons [/old fogie] on North Americans roads nowadays. I told readers to "take a look at this vintage farm truck from the rear. Imagine it passing you on a gravel road, its dim taillight under the flatbed, fixed to the frame, flickering in the dust."

When the International KB was released two years later, I spun into a dream-like reverie: "Dust rises and settles as I smack the palm of my hand on the green vinyl seat. The engine rumbles; the transmission whines as if winding up to an explosion; muggy 90 degree air flows in under the open windshield and out the open side windows; gravel pings the fenders, rattles the running boards, beats the floorboards, even thumps my boot soles. Ah—when a truck was a truck!"

So as progress on my 1/16 FAMO creeps along (not stopped), I also juggle other projects. In addition to the FAMO and a Merit 1/16 US M155 Howitzer kit (and an O-Scale train layout, and farm equipment models, and--yeesh! about the 250th review article), I am putzing with 3D printed loads for this Navy version of the '40 Ford, representing the type on duty on Ford Island---Yep, Pearl Harbor---in 1941.
8 Ball Lft Ft.jpg
8 Ball Lft Ft.jpg (417.11 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
8 Ball Open.jpg
8 Ball Open.jpg (315.61 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
8 Ball stake.jpg
8 Ball stake.jpg (317.63 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1940 Ford at Ford Island

Post by Will01Capri »

Looks well smart, is it Ford V3000?
Very nice looking model
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: 1940 Ford at Ford Island

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Here in the states, the truck was generally known as a Ford V8 11/2 ton truck, and the V3000 designation may be for export (at least to Finland) or just unknown to me. The 3000 makes sense, as 11/2 ton would be 3000 pounds.

Return to “Other Military Non-RC Models”