Watch out, there are Scammers about.

News and Announcements from RC Tank Warfare will be posted here. Also, this board contains the forum rules, please make sure you read these rules before you post.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Watch out, there are Scammers about.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello RCTW members.
It has come our notice that con men/woman/scum bags have joined this forum with the specific goal to con forum members who are posting wanted adverts.
They contact members via PM, stating that they have the item, and they want payment via PayPal Friends and Family.

If this happens to you, please do NOT jump straight in to make a deal, please contact one of the moderation team of your choice.
Letting us know who the member is, and any email address they may give you. Then we can check them out.
Also, NEVER EVER pay total strangers via the Friends and Family option. As far as PayPal are concerned, they are your friends/family that you know, and they haven't received a share of the transaction money to worry about protecting you. In other words, you're on your own if things go south.
Thank you for your time, and reading this.

P.S. Members should also stay vigilant when it comes to selling to new members that may seem iffy.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Watch out, there are Scammers about.

Post by jarndice »

Very sound advice although the numbers of members who still buy from "Nitrotek" then complain even after all the warnings the Forum has put out make me think the people who need the warning wont take any notice and those of us who do take notice would probably not be gulled into parting so easily with our hard earned.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Good points Shaun.
Well, all we can do is warn members, then we can sleep well at nights.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I've had this on another forum, posted a wanted ad for a monster truck and had a very believable message from some one on the forum saying a 3rd party was selling what I wanted, had you seen the post. I couldn't find it but they provided an email address where I was contacted with lots of pictures etc. Luckily I reverse image searched the pictures and found this supposedly nib model was from a 2011 build on another forum.

Scammers were very believable with good English would have been easy to fall into the trap, especially on something you really want where you might be a little less cautious.
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

I believe this has happened to me on this Forum .The forum member in question since joining our forum had no history and had never posted anything or had dialogue of any description on the forum. He answered two individual wanted adds by me and said that his farther had the part and was willing to sell the part for good money. No posts by him was a red flag to me. Thanks Son of a gun-ner for bring this up. I just hope other members read this. John.
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya King Tiger [Porsche turret]
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

John Glover wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:22 pm I believe this has happened to me on this Forum .The forum member in question since joining our forum had no history and had never posted anything or had dialogue of any description on the forum. He answered two individual wanted adds by me and said that his farther had the part and was willing to sell the part for good money. No posts by him was a red flag to me. Thanks Son of a gun-ner for bring this up. I just hope other members read this. John.
John, and anyone else reading this.
We only knew about the scammer because it was reported to one of us by another member.
Please keep the forum team updated with any suspicious activity on the forum.
I believe it was the same scum bag that tried to con you John. If you still have the PM you were sent, please forward it on to me. If not, please let us at least know the members forum name.

If you're unsure about something appearing dodgy, please let us know.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Don't worry...I HATE scammers and spammers. I will always report them. :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “News and Announcements”