1/16 M8 Greyhound

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: 1/16 M8 Greyhound

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Do you have books on the M8? See daviddoylebooks.com and search "M8 and M 20."
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

CaptainSpeedandPower wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:40 pm If anyone notices any historical inaccuracies it would be very helpful to point them out before I end up making a Saving Private Ryan Tiger-esque Greyhound :crazy:
Check your key dimensions against those given in TM 9-2800 here - https://armyvehiclemarking.com/tm-9-280 ... -vehicles/, or better still get the Tamiya model kit to use as a reference.
A lot of the so called 'blueprints' available on line are either scanned in from model kit instruction sheets, or from one of George Bradford's AFV 'Plans' books. Neither of these sources should be considered in any way accurate (Bradford especially!).
The Tamiya kit is quite old, judging from the retail price, but at least they would have measured a real vehicle to the best of their ability at the time, where as the other sources are just technical illustrators looking at photo's and interpreting them.

Remember: Technical illustrators produce artwork, designers produce drawings that can be used to manufacture items from - they are not the same thing...
CaptainSpeedandPower
Recruit

Post by CaptainSpeedandPower »

Ah ok thanks for the information. I currently do not have any books nor any models of the Greyhound, so I think I might get the Tamiya kit and try and use that as reference. Other than the david doyle books are there any good sources of information on the M8 that I can get my hands on? Also there are apparently two variants of the Tamiya M8 kit, a 1998 and a 2020 release, and I was wondering as to what the differences between the two are, other than the extra storage and bags etc on the 2020 release.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

This URL will lead you to not only Doyle's book, but two others on the M8: https://daviddoylebooks.com/us-military ... fare-9ph7d

I have had excellent service from Doyle for years.

Return to “3D Printing”