WPL B16 Axle Upgrade

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

WPL B16 Axle Upgrade

Post by Roboticus_Prime »

The middle axle in my WPL B16 is no longer pulling. So, I decided to repair/upgrade it.

phpBB [video]
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Tanks: HL M26 Pershing, HL M1A2 Abrams, Taigen M4 76, HL M45 Pershing, 1/18 PZ IV, VS Abrams, [coming soon]
jarndice
Colonel

Re: WPL B16 Axle Upgrade

Post by jarndice »

After watching your efforts I am so pleased that I spent a small fortune on the aftermarket titanium front centre and rear axles on all my B16s conjoined with Will and Caths 5th wheel they haul the low loaders with no problems at all though packing the diffs with silicone grease first is highly recommended.
DO avoid the gearbox update it is an expensive and pretty useless lump and you will not need it though a more powerful motor is no bad thing.
Unlike you I took the easy way and spent far too much on the dual wheel conversion via Banggood which looks great complete with wheel nuts although anyone attempting it do be aware that it is as easy to get it wrong as it is to get it right so do double check before finalising the assembly,
The biggest problem was finding the right size tyres and was a pain.
I learnt a lot from the video Thanks.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

I'm surprised that axle lasted as long as it did. When I put this thing together, there wasn't much for aftermarket parts. My buddy tried to buy some of those axles, but they never showed up. Heck the first 6x6 I had, I had to make from two of the original ones. I still have that frame with the walking beam suspension. I'll either turn it into a log trailer, or another "heavy duty" truck. Now you can get everything in a few days off Amazon. Lol

The axles on this truck aren't open diff. Though, I did find some that say they are. I might try them on my next truck. The gearbox is the stock 2 speed with plastic gears, and an upgraded torque motor. It's strong enough to make me have to this fix. If I ever do break it, they make just the metal gears you can put in it.
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Tanks: HL M26 Pershing, HL M1A2 Abrams, Taigen M4 76, HL M45 Pershing, 1/18 PZ IV, VS Abrams, [coming soon]
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

The centre axle needs to be one of the pass thru types, if hauling a load it needs to be robust and it helps reduce torque twist, therefore you gain traction aswell.
I tend to run dual 370 motors in my trucks which are going to do heavy duty activities, but i have been working on a single 370 motor unit which utilises a belt drive with various ratios available so it can be configured for the user.

I seem to find myself on these axles the copper gears can be short lived, so i am trying to run only steel gears going forward where possible
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Roboticus_Prime
Corporal

Will01Capri wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:13 pm The centre axle needs to be one of the pass thru types, if hauling a load it needs to be robust and it helps reduce torque twist, therefore you gain traction aswell.
I tend to run dual 370 motors in my trucks which are going to do heavy duty activities, but i have been working on a single 370 motor unit which utilises a belt drive with various ratios available so it can be configured for the user.

I seem to find myself on these axles the copper gears can be short lived, so i am trying to run only steel gears going forward where possible
The pass through axle on these is made by putting an input shaft on each side. Your stuff is always neat!

phpBB [video]
RP RC

Hey, I got an idea...

Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Roboticus_Prime wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:57 am
Will01Capri wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:13 pm The centre axle needs to be one of the pass thru types, if hauling a load it needs to be robust and it helps reduce torque twist, therefore you gain traction aswell.

The pass through axle on these is made by putting an input shaft on each side. Your stuff is always neat!

phpBB [video]
You are right you can make a centre axle in this way, but that is not defined as a pass thru axle. That type of axle will be prone to torque twist so can lift a wheel underload and loads the suspension.
The pass thru axle takes the input gear from one side and then has an auxillary shaft which takes drive from the input and then passes thru the axle on its own shaft and then the drive is taken off that to go the next axle.
It dramatically reduces the torque twist on the axle. So if you are loaded and pulling a load, then the wheels should stay on the ground for better traction.
I have one on my Diamond T, maybe can get an easy undershot of the axle

:D
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”