PDSGB + sabertooth 2x12 rc troubles.

This forum relates to the Open Source Tank Control Board (TCB). Please read the sticky and visit the main site to find out all about the board and how to install it.
Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

PDSGB + sabertooth 2x12 rc troubles.

Post by Shagnifico »

Is it possible to get a PDSGB gearbox to work with a sabertooth 2x12 rc version? Not the standard version, the RC version.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: PDSGB + sabertooth 2x12 rc troubles.

Post by tankme »

Technically the PDSGB is just two motors so the Sabertooth can control two motors. The issue is that one of the motors is used for straight line movement and the other is used for turning. Although the Sabertooth could control each motor, it would not be able to know which one is doing what unless it was connected via an intermediary board like a TCB through the serial connection. The logic telling the ESC which motor does what is built into the control board in the case of the TCB, HL, ASP, Clark, etc. From what I know about the Sabertooth, it has dip switches on it. One of them controls mixing. You could try and turn off mixing, but that might make the control of the motors difficult depending on which channels end up mapping to which stick. If it was on a single stick then I think the tank wouldn't move as turning left or right would do nothing. The turning motor relies on the movement of the big 550 forward/reverse motor to make the turn. Without mixing the single stick option wouldn't work. If you put it on two sticks you could create forward or reverse motor motion and then apply left or right with the other stick. I think that would work, but it might be a little wonky.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Also is 12a going to cut it for the 480, 550 combo?
tankme

Post by tankme »

tomhugill wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:45 am Also is 12a going to cut it for the 480, 550 combo?
I would definitely use an inline fuse.
Derek
Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Post by Shagnifico »

Thanks tankme, I do have both channels on one stick, I’ll try changing stick mode to tamiya style. This version of the 2x12 doesn’t have serial input because I ordered the wrong one. I did put a fuse on the drive motor lead. The esc has “overcurrent protection” built in supposedly. You think 12a continuous won’t be enough?
tankme

Post by tankme »

12A may be enough for normal operation, but I always plan for abnormal operation. If a rock or stick gets stuck in a track the motor could pull more than 12A. Overcurrent protection is nice if the abnormal behavior is within the parameters of the ESC. If it isn't then the fuses are there to save the day.
Derek

Return to “Open Panzer Tank Control Board”