M1128 Stryker MGS from "RC Kootai"

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: M1128 Stryker MGS from "RC Kootai"

Post by tankme »

It's going to need some work to make it more durable as it seems to be 3D printed. The front four wheels steer. It is an 8x8 with suspension although the front suspension doesn't work quite as well as the rear. Was it worth the money...probably not, but it is the only Stryker on the market currently. All the hatches open. The top turret cover and rear cover for the battery are held on with magnets. I haven't put all the accessories on as I am going to be breaking it down to make some mods to it. It came with a HL version 7 control board and transmitter. I haven't fired it up yet as I need to get to bed...

More info later.

Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:clap: tankme: I will be interested to see what you do to beef up the Stryker. The suspension mechanicals, the electronics and motor (one?) certainly seem neatly packed in there. There also appears to be adjustable steering caster, definitely good. There are lots of interesting details hanging about the hull. Is that "NATO" green? In the photos it seems almost to be WWII OD, not even the somewhat darker post-war OD--but of course, photos put on the internet go through umpty many color changes, so one cannot make much of the color.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Just for those thinking....this is a Hooben as I've seen them selling it on AliExpress and advertised as a pre-order:

Hooben is reselling them - NOT made by them. Stanlley from RC Tank Legion contacted the factory who makes this and did the pre-order directly through them - not Hooben. It is a company called "RC Kootai" which is why the title says that. They have been in the business of RC since 2012, but looks like their lineup was mostly cars, boats, and airplanes until now. They have a presence on Facebook, but since I'm at work I'm limited to what I can search for as far as websites go. They also show a BTR-80 on their site, but have yet to advertise that vehicle for sale unlike Hooben which has one for pre-sale in a different configuration.

At this point I won't recommend getting yourself one as I think it's going to be a long project to make it strong enough to stand the Texas heat. Think...Rich's M60 or his Hooben Merkava when you think of buying one of these. It came with zero instructions, no markings, and painted in the wrong color green (more like a spruce green - too much yellow). It does have space for a battle system in the turret which I will be adding. I will be adding a barrel flash and I haven't seen an IR emitter yet so that might need to be added also.

I believe this was only 1 of 20 that was in the pre-order (it's marked #7). Stanlley went out of his way to make sure each one was good to go before sending them out. Apparently each one had QA problems as he received them. He worked with the factory to get what parts he could and tested each one. I appreciate that and that didn't go unnoticed. Mine arrived with only a small break in the rear tail light which is easily glued back on. I'm sure with the issues he had with them, he won't be selling any more of them.

I should be able to plug it in to a battery and do an initial functions check tonight when I get home from work. The Heng Long controller is just a standard v7 handset. Being that everything is servo driven, I'm sure the control board has to be a HL 7.1, but they removed the cover from it so it has no label right now. It does only have one motor, but it looks to be a geared 550 from my calibrated eye. The steering angles can be adjusted.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”