M10 Achilles Scratchbuild 3d Print

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: M10 Achilles Scratchbuild 3d Print

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looking great Alwyn. Could you possibly sneak a micro servo under the gun like the 88mm you printed for the Nashorn and make it recoil? Either way it's fantastic

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

In other words
“ Just DO it “
:D
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

WOW!!! Jusy received an amazing goody bag from Mick of parts for the build
Many many thanks to Mick :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :D

This build will now move to high gear!

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

After some brutal work on the sherman chassis to remove the battery box and associated fixtures and fittings I started to look at how the turret would be mounted. I had a goldilocks dilemma, the standard HL turret ring was too small, the large HL turret ring was too large at 140mm diameter, so I had to devise my own which is just right (that's the one on the left, the one on the right is the standard.
Having developed and printed the gear ring, the next move was to modify the turret design and it now looks much better, plus I could make a start on the upper hull. The turret floor opening is almost correct to the blueprint but I can't enlarge it any more due to the constraints of the turret gear ring.
The turret base opening is almost correct to the blueprint and the new design turret ring is still compatible with the HL turret turn motor.
The upper hull is still in skeleton form for prototyping as I don't want to waste time and filament printing something that may not work. Once I've printed and proved it I can then fill it out.

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
whitecitadel
Private

Post by whitecitadel »

Your new turret ring looks excellent, can I ask what your doing the design in is that Fusion 360?

I have only really tinkered in tinkercad, but as I look making parts for Tank's it seems I have many hours of learning ahead to try and get some basic skills in 360.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi, I use OPENSCAD and have used it for about 5 years now, I find a flexible and powerfull CAD tool and is fairly easy to learn, after all I learned it and I never had any previous experience with CAD. The link is here
https://openscad.org/
The software is free, well supported, and there are many teaching videos plus an excellent on-line help manual available. I can thoroughly recommend it. The turret gear was a design done using a gear model available on Thingiverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4194148

In fact there are a number of scad designs on thingiverse

Thanks for the interest

whitecitadel
Private

Post by whitecitadel »

Thanks for taking time to reply, I am going to investigate openscad then, and the thingiverse model for gears.

I have been watching YouTube tutorials in an attempt to understand rack and pinion for recoil in fusion360 - pretty complicated stuff!

The Achilles is going to look great :thumbup:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The first section of the upperhull is printed
Oh I do love it when a plan comes together :haha: :haha: :D
I'm thinking that rather than filling in the skeleton I will rather skin it, It will make it faster to print and because the skins will be printed flat there will be no desposition lines plus detail can be added without being distorted.

Edumardo
Private

Post by Edumardo »

Hi Alwyn!

Fantastic work, I will stay here to see your progress :clap: :clap:

I like the idea to use a skeleton form for prototyping, thanks for share with us :thumbup:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The front part of the upper hull is now printed and I can see some minor tweaks that I need to do, but generally it's looking good and fitting perfectly.

I'm really pleased with the turret open space as the turret gear ring fits perfectly

Looking good so far

Return to “Other Builds”