DUKW Scratch Builds

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: DUKW Scratch Builds

Post by Ecam »

It has been a busy Spring for me and not a whole lot of free time for tanking. But here is some of the progress I've made.

I've decided on an early version of the Duck for the 16th scale. The first 2000 (ish) had a vertical windshield, spare tire on the left side, goofy fold up on the windshield surf breaker and a few other details. It's the less pretty (ugly duckling). The bigger build will be the later (next 19,000 or so) which is a more attractive DUKW. Basically they built 21,147 of these in about 3 years. Along the way they made 500 changes.

I've modified my original cargo bed to fit the early version. Its rise off the deck is even along its length. The later version is sloped up towards the rear as a rear surf guard. Which is what I first built, pictured earlier.

I haven't done the ribbing in the center of the bottom because I'm still working out a water proof transfer case. I tried to be as accurate as I can to the actual hull. But depending on what I come up with there may be some hacking, so I left the ribs out for now. The white tubes on the drive shafts are simply guides for the driveshafts allowing the model to be rolled.

Last edited by Ecam on Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Oh, and if anyone knows of a more accurate tire/tyre to the WWII version I'd love to know about it. The wheels aren't too far off.

Eric
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi M16 Half track tyres are close, so are the 1/12 scale jeep tyres and wheels but you will need to make an adapter to fit the axels.Both are just a couple of millimetres out.

regards pete
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Thank you for the information. Never ventured down this road. All help is welcome.

Eric
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Im watching in awe Mr Ecam, not just this project, but all the others you have on the go too !!
Here on the Gold Coast we have a couple of these things operating as tourist rides.
They are BIG units, especially when they are navigating through Surfers Paradise :wtf:

You can be assured Im following this event along mate ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I bought the set for my build from Germany ( AFV model ) they're not cheap when you need six of them but they do suit it well, you will also need to widen the rims or get someone to print a set as they are slightly under sized for the tyre, zoom in on the picture to see the tread pattern a little better, hope this helps :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

I have not forgotten this build thread....

Parts have been trickling in. I recieved two transfer cases and chose the one that will work best. Now I've ordered and am waiting on the drive shaft and prop shaft pieces. I will have to do some custom fitting on the drive shafts for length and to go from 5mm t-case to 3mm HL axles. I'll get some pictures up soon as I get the T-case installed.

Other inbound parts are a Flysky tx, two rx's, waterproof speed controllers and a variety of motors and gear reduction units. When all is in, should have the drive trains of this and the larger DUKW complete. I understand it is possible to run two speed controls off one rx by snipping the red wire from one of them. That would give separate control of the wheels and prop.

This does mean, the ducks won't be part of my no to low cost builds.......

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"[T]he ducks won't be part of my no to low cost builds..." Yes, but worth it... really worth it!

(I like the Flysky, even if my experience with aftermarket electronics is limited. I do wish, however, that I could remember in default configuration which was channel "1," which "2," etc. The manual actually never explains the simplest matter for simpletons like me. :haha: )
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Agreed, very much worth the effort and funds. My low/no cost is simply my attempt to show this hobby DOES NOT require huge funds to enjoy.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Model Builder 4 wrote:I bought the set for my build from Germany ( AFV model ) they're not cheap when you need six of them but they do suit it well, you will also need to widen the rims or get someone to print a set as they are slightly under sized for the tyre, zoom in on the picture to see the tread pattern a little better, hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I did price those :crazy: WOW!

Thanks for the lead.

Eric

Return to “Other Builds”