Herr Doc's Famo

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Herr Doc's Famo

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Those of you who have built the Asiatam Famo can help me limp through this one. I am going to take on this project despite a paucity of skills, as demonstrated by my WCP 4X4 build at viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32221&hilit=Jeep.

I have a few print sources on the Famo, and lots of others online. (I have to go into town to get any internet connection, so I don't have the sources to cite them, but I can get them a.s.a.p.).

For starters, here is part one of my current inventory. I can identify most of the detail parts, and I can see how to disassemble the main body and chassis. However, the electronics will be more of a challenge, so after this inventory, I will have an initial question.
Famo Inventory _01.JPG
Famo Inventory _01.JPG (70.71 KiB) Viewed 44864 times
Famo Inventory _03.JPG
Famo Inventory _03.JPG (87.59 KiB) Viewed 44864 times
Famo Inventory _05.JPG
Famo Inventory _05.JPG (89.28 KiB) Viewed 44864 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Herr Doc's Famo

Part two of my current inventory:
Famo Inventory _06.JPG
Famo Inventory _06.JPG (87.37 KiB) Viewed 44863 times
Famo Inventory _07.JPG
Famo Inventory _07.JPG (77.38 KiB) Viewed 44863 times
Famo Inventory _08.JPG
Famo Inventory _08.JPG (90 KiB) Viewed 44863 times
Famo Inventory _09.JPG
Famo Inventory _09.JPG (87.23 KiB) Viewed 44863 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Part three of my current inventory:
Famo Inventory _10.JPG
Famo Inventory _10.JPG (85.81 KiB) Viewed 44862 times
Famo Inventory _11.JPG
Famo Inventory _11.JPG (75.66 KiB) Viewed 44862 times
Famo Inventory _12.JPG
Famo Inventory _13.JPG
Famo Inventory _13.JPG (75.54 KiB) Viewed 44862 times
Attachments
Famo Inventory _12.JPG
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

(I have no idea why the photo appears twice; it is not so in the editing screen); however,
Here are my initial questions of many sure to come:

The nominal instructions from Asiatam show the link between the board shown in photo of electronics to a HengLong or Taigen motherboard.
1) I surmise that this is Asiatam's version of the ESC, correct?
2) If so, I should be able to link this board to a Taigen V3 with the appropriate Maybach sound, right?
3) If this is Asiatam's version of the ESC, is it designed so as to coordinate the track speed and steering?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Looks like a complete control unit to me. I can’t quite read the printed lettering below the plug sockets though.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hello Herr Dr. Dr. Professor Hc Tanker,
normal, these electronics are connected to a commercially available receiver.
Asiatam also sold this as a set with a Multiplex Smart SX FLEXX.
It will not work with Taigen electronics.

The best thing to do is to write an email to Asiatam and ask for the operating instructions.
E-MAIL: asiatam66@yahoo.de
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I have put up the citations for two books regarding the Famo at: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=33382. If anyone knows of more, please do add citations.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Jimster says, "Looks like a complete control unit to me." And so it seems to me, too.

Herr Hamm explained, "Asiatam also sold this as a set with a Multiplex Smart SX FLEXX." Yes, I have one, complete with its 9-channel receiver and a fat instruction booklet. :thumbup:

And "It will not work with Taigen electronics." Now this is a puzzle. Note in the attached images I took from Asiatam's rather sparse instructions that there are connections to...

...HengLong
Asiatam Electronics 3.jpg
...Taigen
Asiatam Electronics 4.jpg
...Asiatam
Asiatam Electronics 6.jpg
...and a HengLong/Taigen (compatibily?) switch
Asiatam Electronics 5.jpg
My guess is that the connection to the other boards provides a receiver that can be bound to the respective maker's board. Am I right? ...or even close to right? IF SO, I have an idea affecting two RC AFVs projects.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Jimster says, "Looks like a complete control unit to me." And so it seems to me, too.

Herr Hamm explained, "Asiatam also sold this as a set with a Multiplex Smart SX FLEXX." Yes, I have one, complete with its 9-channel receiver and a fat instruction booklet. :thumbup:

And "It will not work with Taigen electronics." Now this is a puzzle. Note in the attached images I took from Asiatam's rather sparse instructions that there are connections to...

My guess is that the connection to the other boards provides a receiver that can be bound to the respective maker's board. Am I right? ...or even close to right? IF SO, I have an idea affecting two RC AFVs projects.
You are wrong....
the other electronic which is connected to the Taigen electronic did not provided a reciever.
Asiatam sold this electronic for Coelian and other double-barrel Flak-Panzer, it brings servo elevation, double servo recoil and muzzle flash.
I still have such electronics lying around in my box of leftovers - somewhere I also have the instructions for it...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you for the clarification. When I have time, I am going to lay out the electronics and test the action of the servo. I have read others' Famo builds here on RCTW, but I still need to study others' Famo builds more closely.

Return to “Other Builds”