WCP family getting back to RC aircraft

This section is for all of you who would like to discuss your RC aircraft!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

WCP family getting back to RC aircraft

Post by Will01Capri »

A long time ago i used to fly alot of RC aircraft, one thing or another got in the way.
But i showed the kids recently some of my aircraft and they were amazed, so we dug them out of the dirty garage where they were gathering dust and bird poo.

The kids really enjoyed cleaning them up and making them shiny again.

All the aircraft are going to need recommissioning and replacement parts or upgrades and repairs.

But at the time i thought, we could convert a nitro trainer into a brushless trainer and let the kids learn to fly with it on my buddy lead setup

Used an OS Max 40 previously, but i remember the way it used to fly and really a 38mds or 32 would have flown it quite well.
I think, but could be wrong, the prop used to be 10x6 or 10x8.

To convert it, i have had to guess a fair bit, but a starting point is weight of the original motor. I think is was circa 140g. The fuel tank is 300 or 400ml. So the battery will be lighter than fuel tank with fuel, the brushless i have chosen so far says 120g, so similar. But some ballast may be required, maybe an extra tx battery will help balance it up.

I am going to try and design my own motor mount and 3dprint it. I may also decide to make a faux looking radial style engine for it for cosmetic purposed just because why not haha.

Once i have the parts i will weigh the complete aircraft and see how it goes.
The motor chosen is a 950kV which can run 2-4s lipo.
On 3s lipo with 10x6 prop it says 380watts capable of pulling 1.6kg. I think it may be over powered, but can always trim it back. If it struggles, i can always move to 4s lipo and swing a bigger pitch prop.
The esc i have chosen is 80A, which i calculate to be twice the amount of what the motor can pull, so a reasonable level of safety. With cheap components i always like to go over board just in case they are not quite up to what they say they are!
For training i will use my 35mhz training buddy setup, but i will move it to my flysky 2.4ghz at somepoint, or may test it on that system.

The Eagle is being converted to electric for a low cost trainer
phpBB [video]

Some more RC aircraft to be pictured and shared in future

Reckon for £50 i can get it air worthy and flying, fingers crossed
Now where did i put the under carriage..............
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: WCP family getting back to RC aircraft

Post by Will01Capri »

One of my other RC aircraft, i should probably say my pride & joy pattern ship.
Its an Excelsior 150 and i think it runs a .68 size motor. Its fast, really fast and its extremely stable.
Designed for large smooth aerobatic manoeuvres. The only down side is it doesn't like to glide and it doesn't have flaps, so it comes in hot for landing which can mean you run out of runway upon landing haha

Can also see another aircraft which was my trainer, it had a hard life! But i might get it running again, although all the old epoxy is brittle, so it might require ALOT of work.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Your children will forever remember the day you dug out the ol' RC airplanes. Now you can train them while you work your way up to a low-wing warbird, say a Spitfire... :D
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’ve just been bitten by the rc plane bug and ordered a Microaces Fokker DR1. Yet another project that I may never finish. :{
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Jimster wrote:I’ve just been bitten by the rc plane bug and ordered a Microaces Fokker DR1. Yet another project that I may never finish. :{
Hahahahahhaa, know that feeling lol
We expect to see some pictures of the Fokker, that will be great. What scale is the plane?
I still need to crack on and do a 1/16 Spit or Hurricane for taxi purposes with the kids tractors
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

With the advent of "Foamies" coupled to electric power it has changed RC Aircraft from a lot of time trying to get the engine to start (Thank goodness for battery electric drills to crank it over) and ready to fly followed by a lot of time repairing it and somewhere in the middle a very short period actually flying.
Now I fit a fully charged LiPo and with its flaps and retracts with lights and lots of detail all I have to do is fly the scale wonder and sometimes I even manage a half decent landing and when Cough cough I suffer a very rare rough landing :lolno: it is usually fixable, although there is an almost non stop demand for new props :thumbdown: ,
The price and availability of Chinese R/C foamies means large scale (1/8th and bigger) aircraft are affordable, Well detailed, Better equipped and by virtue of their size they handle much better than smaller R/C aircraft.
AND they are almost always ready to fly out of the box after fitting the battery and attaching the mainplane :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

The little Fokker Dr.1 is only 1:24. Microaces has quite a few WW1 classics. Worth a look and they’re made in England.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Cheers Jim & Shaun

A wee update for my Trainer
Roughed up a wee adptor to modify the Nitro mount to take a Brushless motor, then thought i could make it look better than just a generic chunk of plastic

Quick rough print done for proof of concept.

Plugged in the 80A esc i bought(maybe a bit overkill!), 3s lipo 2400 Hacker(on storage charge 30%) and connected the flysky 2.4ghz receiver up and we did a test.
On full power i think it has enough oomph to prop hang! Ok so maybe a bit much for a trainer.
Ran on full power held static to check for heat. The battery was getting warm as they do, but motor and esc cool as anything

Ok its a trainer so most of its life around half throttle.

I was particularly interested in heat on my test as used PLA for the mount and hard worked brushless motors do get hot, but dont think we are going to have any issue here. :)

I will disconnect it all and clean up the prints and paint them and then weigh, but in reality the electric setup is still lighter than nitro. But CoG seems to be sitting about right for the aircraft :)

Next job is to fly the aircraft, get the testing completed.
Then will put the resin printed into action and make the detailed version of the radial engine.
Also got some inline engines and might do some V engines aswell to hide various size motors.
So i will do some more and probably use this very plane to test out the various designs. It can earn its keep as the test donkey :P
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Most excellent! Looking forward to the maiden flight.

Return to “RC Aircraft”