And they shall know no fear.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: And they shall know no fear.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Maccrage wrote:
RobW wrote:Still too modern! I was thinking of the "beaky" helmets from the 80s. Pretty sure I've got a set of metal figures of Mk1 to Mk 6/7 armour somewhere.
Ahh... Mk6. I want to do at least one Crimson Fist in Mk6 Beakie armor like on the Rogue Trader cover.
I really like the MK6 armour, bought some Skaven figures to remove the heads to swap with the helmet-less heads in MK6 armour for character figures in a squad of Space Rats I was working on :D
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Maccrage wrote:
RobW wrote:Still too modern! I was thinking of the "beaky" helmets from the 80s. Pretty sure I've got a set of metal figures of Mk1 to Mk 6/7 armour somewhere.
Ahh... Mk6. I want to do at least one Crimson Fist in Mk6 Beakie armor like on the Rogue Trader cover.
I really like the MK6 armour, bought some Skaven figures to remove the heads to swap with the helmet-less heads in MK6 armour for character figures in a squad of Space Rats I was working on :D
GW has a new set of plastic Mk6 Marines coming out for their new Horus Heresy game. Only 10 though, not 30 like the original Rogue Trader boxed plastic beakies.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I have that original Rogue Trader boxed set, it's rather good :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

The box set I sold were the beaky models. Funny that I got about the same amount for them as I paid for them in like 1987 even though I had assembled them.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

I just bought a copy of Rogue Trader a couple of weeks ago. Cost me probably 3-4x what I originally paid in 87/88.
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Sweet.

phpBB [video]

I'd love to have the Baneblade, but if I had that kind of room, I'd be doing 1/6 scale tanks instead of 1/16 or 18 tanks.
phpBB [video]
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Since the official dimensions are almost useless, the plan now is to simply scale up the GW model to 1/18 scale. Needing a starting scale, I chose to use the 4.5 meter width for the "real" Rhino since that seems a good starting point according to my first layout. This would make the GW Rhino scale out at 1/64. Scale that up to 1/18, and you get something like this.

Offical height and length in blue, scaled up 1/64 GW Rhino in orange. Still a bit too small, but a good starting point.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

1/64th is 28mm high figures. Aren't GW figures nearer 30mm to 32mm? Although, their figures are quite chunky, and appear larger with all their armour. You will find they vary from set to set, and older figures to newer figures.
I would suggest trying 1/56th scale for the figures. Although that would make your 18th conversion even smaller.
How high is that little model? Ground to the top of the main hull, not the two protrusions.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Mind you, looking at the side door on the kit, it would appear the space inside would need a step up from where the hinges are to clear the top of the road wheels let alone the tracks running on return rollers. You may have to use a bit of artistic license on the size to gain a bit of credible realism.

Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:1/64th is 28mm high figures. Aren't GW figures nearer 30mm to 32mm? Although, their figures are quite chunky, and appear larger with all their armour. You will find they vary from set to set, and older figures to newer figures.
I would suggest trying 1/56th scale for the figures. Although that would make your 18th conversion even smaller.
How high is that little model? Ground to the top of the main hull, not the two protrusions.
GW vehicles and figures are actually out of scale to each other, with the Space Marine vehicles being especially bad, and getting worse, with GWs scale creep. Every few years, the new Marine minis keep getting bigger.

This is actually the second Rhino version. The first was even smaller. When this model was made, the scale of the figures was still 28mm, and the model was now scaled properly, however was still too small to fit 10 Marines inside. Kind of like the Aliens Colonial Marines APC. We know exactly how big it is. And we also know the like the TARDIS, it's bigger on the inside. GW started to increase the size of the Space Marine minis, an now the model is once again underscale compared to the minis. The Primaris Marines that come with the box set are 38mm, and I think the current Firstborn(real Mk7 Marines) are somewhere around what you said.

I like the older 28mm era, so using the width of gets this. Which would work, barely. Especially if you take the lore into account. The Rhino is an ancient Dark Age of Technology STC product. Therefore, they were around before the Space Marines were created, and was designed for normal humans. It is also currently used by the Adeptus Arbites and the Sisters of Battle, normal humans. It was once a pretty ubiquitous Imperial vehicle, but sincw the Horus Heresy they have become so rare and precious now they're restricted to those three. So it should be cramped for a full 10 man squad of Marines, but do-able. I see it as a capabilty that is used during major battles and emergencies and the like, with most of the routine use being by 5 man combat squads. The squad leader in the TC position on the left, leaving 4 Marines in the troop compartment.
Last edited by Maccrage on Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Builds”