Crusader Tank new build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: Crusader Tank new build

Post by jhamm »

Hi Alwyn,
the track link looks terrible.... stringing without end and the filling level is too low.
But I think they are prototypes. :haha:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yes the stringing is proving to be quite annoying but I haven't bothered with any cleaning at this stage. The main thing is to get the sprocket correct and the tracks fitting the sprocket, and BINGO :D :D :D
Now I can start working on the quality issues.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Sorted the sprocket and track links, now I just need the rest of the tank! :/ :haha:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I have the Ludwig one. I will be buying the Matilda of your creation and since my crusader is a pain I’m inclined to buy your crusader should you decide to release files as you have the Matilda
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Finished my packing and a little time to fill before departure so I started on the Crusader
First print of 110 track links, clean them, and pin them together :crazy: 8O :haha:
Whilst doing that I designed the suspension mount and suspension arm using Tiger 1 springs
The mount will be built into the lower hull side design

It will give me a start for when I get back

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Some progress on the hull side design

Managed to build in the mounts for the suspension arms

I'm pretty sure this won't be finished before I leave :haha: :haha: :crazy:

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Progress on the hull side and roadwheel/tyre
Coming along

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Nice. I've never been a huge fan of the Crusader, but being able to print one might just change my mind about that... :) Are the tires TPU?
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The tyres are printed in black pla+ but could have been printed in tpu, I just happened to have pla+ in the printer for printing track links. I enjoy working on the unusual tanks that aren't available from mainstream suppliers like HL and Taigen because they are a challenge with their different tracks and suspensions or because they aren't the usual 'butch' MBTs but have a quirky appeal. :crazy: :haha:

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Now I have a crusader lower hull. It is amazing how wide and low this tank is, and it is obvious to me that I will not be able to use a standard HL gearbox, as it would be too high, so I will need to use the gear boxes I designed for the Matilda

I will be making printable panels for the front and rear of the hull but I didn't have time to do this before leaving.

Return to “Other Builds”