Scammel

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Scammel

Post by jarndice »

I have fond memories of collecting Subframes from Scammel in Tolpits lane and taking them via an AEC Mandator to Alford and Alder in Hemel Hempstead for the steering gear to be fitted and Picking up Scammel Handyman Cabs from Leighton Buzzard and taking them to Watford, :thumbup:
And then Leyland ruined both Scammel and AEC amongst other fine truck makers. :thumbdown:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

delta19 wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:One option might be to pick up a budget model and scale up from that. There are some examples here:
https://www.1001hobbies.co.uk/410-scammell-model-kit

Or, take some measurements here, and scale them to your needs. Images can be downloaded at a % size that suits your needs.
https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprin ... ansporter/
Am I missing something or how would you get any useful information from that blueprints site? The image has no scale or measurements in the image at all.
I used Blueprints of the Cromwell Mk IV to produce individual components. Finding basic dimensions (HxWxL etc..) is very easy on the 'net. From there, it's quite a simple process to determine the relative sizes of the individual parts, and then scale them to meet one's own needs.

Shaun, yes, it was a shame that Leyland, and then British Leyland, seemed to taint everything they touched. Mind you, the shop stewards all seemed to be of the 'Citizen Smith' type in those days- and that didn't help either. 'Down tools lads! Yay'. Shoddy working practices didn't help. :/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It breaks my heart to think of companies such as Albion/AEC/Scammel et al with a viable product and a market that was queuing up with orders that British Leyland first dumped their low standards upon them and customers were not willing to accept plastic instead of chrome so were shut down and a Labour government that appeared to be happy to shut them down,
Shame on them.
As an aside we ordered a dozen AEC Marathons from a local dealer and we received a Leyland Marathon,
It was a very nasty truck obviously built down to a price which we rejected and took up an offer from an upstart company called Volvo,
We ordered Ten F 86 units and and never looked back.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:It breaks my heart to think of companies such as Albion/AEC/Scammel et al with a viable product and a market that was queuing up with orders that British Leyland first dumped their low standards upon them and customers were not willing to accept plastic instead of chrome so were shut down and a Labour government that appeared to be happy to shut them down,
Shame on them.
As an aside we ordered a dozen AEC Marathons from a local dealer and we received a Leyland Marathon,
It was a very nasty truck obviously built down to a price which we rejected and took up an offer from an upstart company called Volvo,
We ordered Ten F 86 units and and never looked back.
Not to deviate too much from the topic, Wilson's lot also cancelled the beautiful TSR2. What a crime that was >:< It's also a little-known fact, that they (Labour) closed more coal mines overall than the Tories.. :shh:
Anyway, I lived in Leavesden for a while (sure you know it), right next to the airfield, when I was working in London. They built mosquitos there during the war, at De Havilland's. Later, the airfield hosted the Rolls-Royce helicopter engine works. Now, it's the home of Harry Potter. :/ film studios.
So, we've gone from 'wooden wonders', and beefy tank-toting Scammels, to fictional kids with wands. :/ I'm sure they'll be really useful in any forthcoming confict. :wtf:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Discussion”