360 turret rotation

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: 360 turret rotation

Post by Jofaur86 »

Thank you, for the answer, it's a kind of adhesive and translucent sheet, at least on the Sherman, have a nice weekend
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Not sure if this helps but I upgraded my HL/Taigen Tiger with a metal turret motor and metal ring with built in roller bearings. Very smooth and less slop.
My turret is Taigen and upper hull is HL.
phpBB [video]
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I don't know about Mr Sassgrunt posting about it, but I did remember Mr wibblywobbly posting similar back in the summer of 2017 :thumbup:
wibblywobbly wrote:I have a few HL tanks and yes, the rings are different sizes.

If you want a slick turret rotation, you could try the tip that Bogeyman gave me. Trot down to the local stationery store and buy some plastic document holders, the slippery clear plastic ones. Cut two turret rings out, glue one to the turret and one to the hull. voila! friction free turret rotation. :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Jimster wrote:Not sure if this helps but I upgraded my HL/Taigen Tiger with a metal turret motor and metal ring with built in roller bearings. Very smooth and less slop.
My turret is Taigen and upper hull is HL.
phpBB [video]
Hi
Is your turret 360 rotation? If yes, how did you fix the slip ring to the metal turret ring?
Thanks in advance
Frank
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

No, but it is a 360 gear and could be used with very little engineering. My Leopard 2A7 + didn’t have it’s 21 wire slip ring attached to anything.
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Jimster wrote:No, but it is a 360 gear and could be used with very little engineering. My Leopard 2A7 + didn’t have it’s 21 wire slip ring attached to anything.
Thanks
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I had actually forgotten about this post until Painless' reminder.

sassgrunt » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:22 am

Rather than add a styrene ring for the turret to pivot on, I have used a circle-cutter to make rings out of see-through colored notebook dividers. They measure between .005" and .007" thick, and they are 'slippery' enough to allow a good bearing surface. They are awfully bright, though, so cut them just big enough not to show past the edge of the turret. When I've needed a thicker turret bearing, I've used the re-sealable plastic tops from large metal cans. These can run between .025" and .040" thick, and are made of a nylon-type material; so they won't take glue but are pretty slippery as well. -Mike

Return to “General Questions”