Fitting a laser as a aiming light

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
bowlingball
Recruit

Fitting a laser as a aiming light

Post by bowlingball »

I checked the forum but cant see a definitive answer for this. I have a HL Sherman fitted with 7.0 controls. I have fitted a 5v laser to the mantlet to act as a targeting light. It's not meant to be accurate in a precise sense, but more for the amusement of my grandson!
What I cant see is how I can illuminate it. I note there is an "aiming light" at LED 2, is this the one I connect to? And which button/combination of buttons will light it up?
I'll be happy to post a summary of the work/outcome once complete.
I'm very new to this hobby/site, so pls bear with me if this has been dealt with elsewhere.
bowlingball
Recruit

Re: Fitting a laser as a aiming light

Post by bowlingball »

Finished the mounting of a laser sight on the HL Sherman.
Took the output from LED 2 and fed this directly to the laser, mounted in the drilled out hole in the mantlet. Pressing button B lights it up. May do a more detailed run through with pictures if there's any interest.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Yes I would be very interested. I would like to replace the defunct led on my Heng long Panzer with one.
AGKPeiper
Lance Corporal

Post by AGKPeiper »

Yes thank you. I'd also be interested in this.
bowlingball
Recruit

Post by bowlingball »

Parts used:
5v Mini laser head dot 6mm diode. Amazo £6.29 pack of 20.
22 AWG JST Plug. Amazo £6 pack of 20 pairs.
Milliput modelling resin.
6.5 mm drill
Method:
Separate the top and bottom halves of the tank. 4 recessed screws in the bottom. Separate the turret, 2 screws in the turret gear wheel.
I chose not to disconnect any wires, but worked on the separated parts while still connected by the various cables.
Drill a 6.5mm hole in the mantle (right hand side as you look at it from the front). There is already a "feature" there, but it's not functional. Take care as you drill to avoid the bit causing damage inside the mantle. Remove any plastic swarf.
Feed the wires of the laser in through this new 6.5mm hole. It's quite a snug fit but there is sufficient play to all you to true the aim of the laser beam.
Solder a JST 2pin female connector to the diode wires. (I had already soldered some additional wire to the diode wires so that it was easier to thread through.)
Plug this into LED2 on the controller. I removed the speaker to one one side to make this easier.
At this point you can fire up the tank and check the laser is working, by pressing button B. Tidy the new cable, making sure the turret rotation and gun elevation are not impaired.
Make sure the laser is easily accessible, ie is well proud of its mount, so you can get at it once you reassemble the tank.
Make up a small amount of Milliput or similar modelling clay and use this to sit the laser neatly in the mantle. I left it about 5mm proud as this gave me enough 'wiggle room' to adjust its aim.
While the modelling clay is still workable, start up the tank, fire a BB at a target you can check impact with and adjust the laser dot to be in line with the point of impact. I was aiming more for visual impact that precision.
Once the clay has hardened, paint the laser to match the tank.
Hope that helps.
Attachments
PSX_20220106_093833.jpg
PSX_20220106_093833.jpg (92.1 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
PSX_20220106_094011.jpg
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

That laser sight is a unique addition. Perhaps others have done it, but I cannot recall seeing it here on RCTW. I bet it was fun to try to get the plastic BBs sighted in. :haha: On the best BBs to use (not the yellow ones that come with the tank) see:viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30971&hilit=white+BBs&start=40
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

So I've been working on mine. I want to install the laser behind the mantlet. So I have mounted it on a vice (it's been broken for ages) I sighted a target I use for fine tuning autofocus of cameras and then shone the laser down the barrel. The laser exits the unit at an angle so although the unit fits perfectly in the barrel it needs to be held a quite an angle to go down the barrel. Then I just plan to glue it to the hole where the led was holding it at the sport sighted by the barrel.

On a safety note I notice mine is quite bright the listing quoted it at less the 5mW. That would make it a class 3R laser. It is not idiot proof and in my mind more dangerous than the BB launcher. So I am putting this project on hold until I can get a second safety switch that I can mount next to the BB unit so that I can disable it if I feel necessary.

ImageImage

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

I will never drive my tank forward again! :P Still think the laser I bought is to bright. class 1 or 2 would be just as good.

bowlingball
Recruit

Post by bowlingball »

Yes, that does look very bright. I can't see the wattage on the one I fitted, but I intend only to light it up when about to fire. Since I wouldn't be point the gun at anyone at the time, I think I'll be safe enough. I do like the laser/smoke combination, I'll have a go at that tonight.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Just if anyone is following this and buying laser here is a bit of reading to help with the safety side of things. I used to work with more powerful ones so I am paranoid about them!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ety-advice

Return to “Heng Long”