American Civil War City Class Gunboat

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: American Civil War City Class Gunboat

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Yes that’s exactly it Mr Mcq11
I was very careless about the terminology sorry.
I learned the term from days of motorcycle racing.
Brake fluid not used of the grade I used was prone to attract moisture even through plastic containers,
Was advised to use fluid only from metal containers.

Anyway! Car filler is very prone to absorbing moisture !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Jim,

I spent from the 5th of December until the 24th in Wisconsin. It was supposed to be just an eight day visit, but my 86 year old Dad sprung a leak and was walking around one liter short of blood! Still doing woodworking, shoveling snow, and saying "I'm fine, just a little weak and tired, with a bit of damn dizziness"! 8O :/ Very stubborn German! So a trip to the ER, transfusion, multiple visits to the University Hospital in Madison for tests, etc., etc. He's doing fine now and it was good that I could stay to help them out.

At any rate, when I was up there I saw some guys out on Lake Wisconsin with a home made air boat. It had a hull that looks just like your gunboat! Definitely a "custom one off creation"! It appeared to be safer than venturing out on the thin ice to chase pike and panfish, though probably not by much. I'm not sure it passed the USCG inspections!
Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Most years, Jim, up here it would need to be an ice boat around Christmas Day. This year is weird. :wtf: By this time most years I am driving the tractor around backward with the roll bar brushing low-hanging, snow-laden tree branches, perfectly aimed between the collar and hat, directly at the back of my neck. :O This year, I haven't even put the snow blower on the tractor. (Talk about pushing my luck...!) Nonetheless, look at those uncovered autumn leaves: just how far south of the Wisconsin/Flatlander state border are you?

To our good Herr Dr.,

You must of missed out on the rain and wet 3 inches of snow that Baraboo got. I packed my tank up and took it along hoping to rumble through the long dead gardens, but there were only 2 days that were nice and I didn't get the chance to play outside with it. :( All of the rest of the days were so cold that I couldn't even feel the transmitter with my frozen fingers! To even have a cigar, I had to bundle up like a I was going out ice fishing for the entire day! I'd like to know what all of you native Wisconsinites BAC levels are!? I suspect a fairly high number! :haha: My Father is partial to nips of Asbach 8 year old German brandy. Yeah, I must be getting soft, but it's curious that once I quit drinking I quickly left the state! :think:

Anyhow Jim, your gunboat is coming along nicely! Carry on!

Cheers,
Eric.
Last edited by EAO on Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Yes, I can hardly wait to catch a buzz from the fiberglass resin fumes! 8)
EAO

Post by EAO »

Jimster wrote:Yes, I can hardly wait to catch a buzz from the fiberglass resin fumes! 8)
I'd recommend breathing very slowly and deeply! :shifty: Always remember to inhale...unless we're speaking cigars! :D

Cheers,
Eric.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I apologize for painstakingly slow progress but the hull now has two layers of marine epoxy/cloth layers covering body filler covering polyacrylic cloth covering styrene covering construction foam. Should be tough as hell! After some more sanding I’ll paint the hull black, install the running gear and begin the fun part of building the upper decks.
Anyone interested in 3D printing 13 42 pounder Civil War naval cannon barrels for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jimster wrote: Should be tough as hell!
At this point I'd say not even an U-boat could sink that, man. Lol
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I hope not, it’s going to be carrying a Beier board inside as precious cargo! Of course I’ll put it in a watertight compartment (not like Titanic’s) and will certainly need to attend a class or two at Rad University to get things adjusted correctly.
EAO

Post by EAO »

Jim,

Looks very nice! I'm surprised by the smoothness and contour that you achieved on the bow. But then knowing your work, I guess I shouldn't be! :crazy:

Cheers,
Eric.

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks, Eric! Good to hear from you my friend. I plan on making this a one of a kind rc Civil War gunboat. I know it’s not a tank but what the hell, it’s a sub forum on this site so I’m going for it.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Jim, I have been following your build with great interest and love watching unusual/different builds. You are looking for barrels for your gunboat and I have done a little bit of investigation of civil war gunboats and from this article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-class_ironclad
it looks as though you are looking for a mix of calibres
3 x 8-in (203 mm),
4 x 43-pounder (19 kg),
6 x 32-pounder (14.5 kg)

Given where you are I think the best would be if I can put together the STL files for the guns, e-mail them too you, and then you should be able to get someone local with a 3d printer to print them off for you?

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”