Sooo....

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Sooo....

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Kaczor wrote:What a bargain! Now only change the turret for 76mm and you have proper Sherman ;D
/\
What he said ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Hi
Whoever painted the Sherman did an amazing job,
Regards
Frank
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Yay! The postman delivered it this morning!!

Very nicely painted and weathered. I am sooo going to try and preserve all this. Don't think I could do any better.

Also; Booh! The postman managed to break it!!

The victims; MG mount, visor cage, one exhaust and a hubcap... Oh well, I've seen worse...

Plastic upper, but a very nice metal lower hull. I love the HVSS gear, and it seems to work well. And lo and behold; is that a Heng Long gearbox!?

Seems all they needed to do was file a flat side to the drive axle? Sweet...

Some washers were added to the axle, but I think they're not needed...

Some new mounting holes were drilled...

...and the sheet-metal of the gearbox needed a bit of shaving to clear the gearbox cover... But it looks good. Wonder if I can just pop in a TK6.0 and take it for a run... ;D

So, I have a HL Sherman turret going spare from the BARV and Grant build... so there is some transplantations planned in the future. Because.. you know... I really needed another project... :/

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Hello
I do not think the postman broke your tank, , parcels are transported in yorks of 250kg each, if the parcel is not well packed ,it may get damaged.Was your parcel insured?
Its a thankless job thesedays and too many people point the finger at postmen (women) walking around for 5 hours in all weathers with no thanks at the end of the day.

Regards
Frank
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Slightly off topic. The word york in "yorks of 250kg each" has me intrigued. Of course there is the historical "House of York" and York is the name of a town or two around the world. But what is a "york" in this context? I could not find it in a few dictionaries. (Well, once a late colleague of mine used "york" (to york up) to describe what happens when a large dog gets into a supply of caramel sauce.)
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Royal Mails U framed"York" has a brother in the Logistics world it being the 4 sided dismantable "Cage". :clap:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I would guess that this was one of the older clutch driven Shermans which is why it got converted to the HL gearboxes. Awesome find though and you didn't have to pay for a bunch of stuff you aren't going to use.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Slightly off topic. The word york in "yorks of 250kg each" has me intrigued. Of course there is the historical "House of York" and York is the name of a town or two around the world. But what is a "york" in this context? I could not find it in a few dictionaries. (Well, once a late colleague of mine used "york" (to york up) to describe what happens when a large dog gets into a supply of caramel sauce.)
The City of York, in Yorkshire (formerly 'Jorvik' under the Vikings, and 'Eboracum' under the Romans) was once the capital of much of England, or at least the greater portion of it, ruled by the Danes under 'Danelaw'.
It's almost 2,000 years old, and populated by folk who say things like:- "Ee, by Gum"; "Where's there's muck there's brass"; 'Thou" and "Thee" are still in use, (and other anachronisms, particularly for 'foreign' cricketers :shh: :haha: :D ) and they like to sing:"
"On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at" (On Ilkley Moor without a hat...). 'New York', of course derives from it, but no one says 'EE, by Gum!", there- to cite a significant difference. Another is that you're not allowed to carry guns in Yorkshire, whether concealed, or on display. Also Yorkshire gave rise to The Bröntes, Captain Cook, and-quite possibly, Robin Hood. The Song, Scarbourough Fair, also relates to a coastal there.
But, sorry, I digress.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Well be damned if that didnt fill in a few gaps in the General Knowledge Mr 43rr!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “General Questions”