SU '85 AN-BRI-RAMINATOR PROJECT

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

SU '85 AN-BRI-RAMINATOR PROJECT

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I thought I would make a new thread on the actual build completion of this seldom modeled tank destroyer.
As in the previous thread begun by Mr Raminator, I've chosen a version of the SU-85 that is pictured with Panther roadwheels replaced on its running gear.
Allegedly this was an expedient measure due to the shortage of replacement wheels carried out by field workshop units at the time.
I am going to take a bit of creative licence and make a supposition that the practice was wider spread than we think, and that the innovative & hard pressed Soviet support mechanics came up with a way to keep their guns in the fight & did so at every opportunity.

At the moment I've not decided on the period timing or any specific vehicle, but the research begins in earnest now to do so if possible.

I had intended to run the Taigen V3 system in it, just to get the right sound. The Taigen Russian tank sound is fantastic when put through a good speaker. But, now I've done 2 H/L 6.1s set ups, I am telling myself to cope with the sound difference by using the T90 set and getting the advantage of servo control. Again, this is not 100% decided either :problem:

Anyway................Im off to rip apart a perfectly good toy like the kid next door in Toy Story !! 8O
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: SU '85 AN-BRI-RAMINATOR PROJECT

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Well, after an hour or so of rough work with my normal tools, I have 3 wheels pairs with Panther outer roadwheels fitted.
Drill the Panther wheels out to 9mm for the Taigen bearing to the depth of the bearing plus a bit for luck.
Sliced the rear of the mounting hub off the wheel leaving a 4mm long stub that goes into the Raminator printed inner wheel.
Punched in the bearing.
Dressed a couple of flats on the short stub and ran the file around the stub to reduce the diameter by .5mm/side.
While not factory perfect, they are near enough.

The track guide horns will not touch the inside of the Panther wheels, but as Im putting these custom pairs in the middle of each side, the main deflection on the first & last wheels should hold in line.

The diameter is about half to 1mm larger on the Panther wheel, but that wont matter I think.
There is enough slop in the H/L suspension componentry that both wheels will still contact the track.
A minor but annoying point is the lovely hub caps that Mr Raminator made to snap fit into the printed wheels wont snap in to Tamiya Panther wheels :/ So I'm yet to figure out a simple & reliable way of holding them on. :think:
Attachments
D311CF1D-B338-4414-BA02-0C1D30C96C42.jpeg
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Being the pest that I am to myself, could not let things be & got on with other small jobs to get this thing looking a bit more like it.
As is a must with all T34 mods, the H/L rear transmission cover and louvered armour beneath need to be done properly.
Out with a small drill to punch the corners into the plastic mesh.
Sliced carefully with a cutting blade on my power hobbytool & a shower of green plastic & out they came.
The rest was dressed with a lot of filing & sanding.
I've got some Taigen brass mesh to fit in.

The louvers were chucked together out of scrap brass flat sheet and tube.
Cut to length, the flat was dressed to suit the opening then cross bars were solder pasted across with 8mm sticking out both ends.
Tube that telescoped over the cross bars was cut & slid over each end.
Super glue held them in place.
Its a good mod to do for looks alone, but also to allow more sound out of the hull, and any heat from the motors out during extended running.
Cheap & cheerful but adds a lot I reckon.
I also filled in the sockets for the unused smoke canister brackets as the late SU85's which this is, they were not fitted.
The H/L molded conduits for the release cable for them were also carefully ground off.
I will cover the marks with Mr Surfacer and putty as required.

Im fitting a 6.1s control system into this & will use the 3rd sound set(T90/T72) for this. Yeah, I know, its not right, but, for the control on offer and the servo option, plus the fact a set is available here for AUD$111 posted, I'm willing to compromise on perfect sound.
Trust me, Id rather have the Taigen V3 sound, but Taigen does not support servos plus they still require the large all-in-one elevation/recoil unit.
Not that they are no good, I have them in plenty of my H/L tanks, again they are simply not available here and need to be imported = time & money better used in other areas.
Unlike the pristine T34 of Mr Rams I have left as intended, this one is going to get a 'munting' so it feels a lot more like a roughy that I assimilate with ;)
Attachments
6A7499D8-9769-47DF-B4D6-CA389E70FA05.jpeg
6654695A-5412-42D6-9DF0-16C0CE40900A.jpeg
ED87C307-D3F8-4127-B17F-49F0E9E319EC.jpeg
6B6EFF43-D8FF-4CC6-B139-372C702E7EB5.jpeg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Herman excellent work on the louvers and those panther wheels are an excellent idea. :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Oh, Boy! :thumbup: Here goes Bix again with another brilliant model. I will be interested in the information you get on the real one, too. I should not be surprised that road wheels might be scavenged by resourceful mechanics.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWII/T34/tam ... 2.jpg.html

You will need to translate it, but this is the idea.
They also did the SU-85 as pictured.
This is the one I am basing mine on.
I will add a conglomeration of many machines into the one, but this is the fundamental machine I want to copy.
Attachments
su85prod15-68ff5fb547c2365e45c265ca6d658423-4a98500fc0d997ed33a056deb1c34960.jpg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Just had a thought...........what about paint on the Panther wheels ?
Ive done them in a plain German Dark yellow & they stick out like a Bulldogs youknowwhats against the green background so I had a thought that maybe if the Russian support group that pulled off the repair was well set up enough, surely they would have had paint to blend them ???

What do you guys reckon ? Brush paint a bit of 4BO over the yellow leaving some visible ?
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Also a perfect green color match wouldn't be necessary as the tank and wheels would've been painted at a different time.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Interesting project! Were they roughly the same diameter?

How many are you replacing with Panther wheels?

I’d put an odd one in dunkel gelb or red oxide? and another with camouflage on the other side. Once weathered it’ll look fine. One of them with a thin coat of 4BO would look good?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks for the common sense advice lads.
I can certainly chuck a camo pattern on one, and a 4BO rough cover over one, and the single on the other side could also be camo just to break up the green.
I have run out of Tamiya Panther outer road wheels.
2 went on the turret flanks of 111 and 3 are on this.
I gave another 2 away to a mate for a very cool build he’s doing which also needs them on the turret flanks.
I just need to figure out how to properly mount the hub caps on these though. :think:

They look right at home here ;)
Attachments
01DF4B20-3FC1-44C8-B37F-E4E638F79D04.jpeg
E8C7DAFD-9BA6-4907-84F1-A03440D240CD.jpeg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”