Hooben tank models

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Rob1970
Corporal

Re: Hooben tank models

Post by Rob1970 »

STHV wrote:Avoid them... *edited for brevity...my Ausf D project.
No no, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel... ;D
I've been eyeing the Hooben Cromwell because... well... it's an Allied tank, and supposedly RTR. But after this story (and some other pretty damning review I might as well scratchbuild (or print) my own. It's hardly going to come out worse than a Hooben it seems.

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Kind of want to buy one now just to see "how bad can it be?!" :)
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Well, I have their T-55. Not a build for the inexperienced, I’ll allow, but, completed with a bit of effort, it’s now probably my favourite tank, to the dismay of the rest of my collection. Just saying…

And no, I’ve no connection to Hooben!

(I should make the point that my T-55 kit came without MFU - I fitted an HL 6.1s.)
Last edited by Timbo68 on Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

Rob1970 wrote: I've been eyeing the Hooben Cromwell because... well... it's an Allied tank, and supposedly RTR. But after this story (and some other pretty damning review I might as well scratchbuild (or print) my own. It's hardly going to come out worse than a Hooben it seems.

TTFN,
Rob
Spoke earlier today with Tomas of Warprints & he has kits available now of his new Cromwell. He's offering kits both complete or only as 3DP parts for those who want to supply their own hardware & electronics. Am sure you'll find its the most detailed around. :thumbup:
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Is there a link to the Warprints Cromwell? and I used to have an Alfa 166 super. loved it right up the moment it burst into flames for no apparent reason!
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

I've got the Sherman. By the time I've got around to it no doubt someone else will make one.... But also all I'll have left is the lower hull. Main issue is spares as nothing is compatible with either Tamiya or HL standards. With work it'll make a decent base for the Mato cast upper & turret plus (I suspect) new electrics.

I was interested in the 1:10 T34 but given the price and problems I had with the Sherman (Andrew Haya went beyond good to fix some of those) I'll need persuading to put the barge pole away.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

stu_the_flat wrote:Kind of want to buy one now just to see "how bad can it be?!" :)
Laughed out loud at that!
jcarducci
Recruit

Post by jcarducci »

I actually forgot that I have Hooben's Maus. I got it when they had their 'pre-sale' price and it did take quite a few months to get here.
When I saw it on arrival I was definitely underwhelmed at the paper thin metal they used for the turret and abundance of plastic parts in an "all metal" model. The Phillips screwheads everywhere was a nice feature... not. I recall putting it back in its container and I've not looked at it since.

I have their 1/10 T-34 and haven't yet broken it and I did run it quite a bit in the dirt and cement. I think I tend to tune out the bad issues such as the radio system was missing the receiver in the model- I'm embarrassed to say it took me a while to understand
why the transmitter couldn't bind. I just don't think my pea brain could fathom how a manufacturer could forget that! I ultimately binned
the electronics and swapped it with an IBU2 Pro board driven by a Turnigy 9x system.

I also have their Elefant - still nib as is their T-55.

Wanted their 1/10 E8 Sherman but I'm waiting for either hell to freeze over or Hooben to add rubber tyres to the model...

Jerry
Stay home, build a tank save a life!

http://tanks.linite.com
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Haya's folks sold the Hooben Elefant assembled, and I bought one some years ago. I am a gentle cement or carpet runner, and for such short times even a 1700 NiMH works for me (though I tend not to use them). So my Hooben is not seriously challenged (unlike me :D ). I don't think I would take on a Hooben kit myself--although with a Famo and a Puma in the waiting, I have challenge enough. Heck! I am still trying to get a servo to work. :haha:

Return to “General Questions”